dual boot macbook backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual boot macbook running leopard and winxp
Hi

I've had my macbook 6 months now: its dual boot with leopard on one partition and winxp on the other. All is well, but I'd appreciate advice on backing up.

I'd like to be able to backup the whole machine to an external hard drive. My criteria for a backup system are:
(1) backup BOTH (windows and leopard) partitions on my macbook;
(2) backup incremental changes (ie not dumping the whole file system every time)
(3) a backup that can be read by other OSs as an external drive (e.g. windows, linux).

Initial digging suggests that time machine can do (2), but fails on (1) and (3). Does anyone know if there tweaks for time machine that can allow it to satisfy (1) and (3)? Else alternative backup systems that can meet all three criteria.

Or am I just too demanding?

Many thx
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5
I don't think that's too demanding, but probably a bit more complex than the "usual" consumer back-up needs.

Sorry I don't have any specific suggestions - this is one of the reasons I go with virtualization, though. Sure there is some sort of "hit" on performance of the VMs, but I can then use Time Machine (or similar) out-of-the-box.

Hope someone can chime in with a good option for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.