Make My Mac Look Like Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Dear Forum:

My workplace recently purchased me one of those aluminum-chassis full-tower workstations; it took a bit of figuring to identify it, but it looks like a pretty good model, with a dual-core 2ghz cpu & 4 gigabytes of memory.

Anyhow, I'm a Windows user and just don't like that OS X Windows GUI. Can you tell me how to get a Windows skin for it so that it handles like Vista? I've already renamed the icons so I can remember them - like "Macintosh HDD" to "My Computer", etc....but I can't figure out how to install a start menu on it.

Also, my Vista computer is pretty good about asking me when applications try to run things without my knowledge - I don't really like all the popups, but at least I know I'm safe. Can I fix my Mac so that it asks me before just running things? I feel nervous that maybe its not secure..

Thanks;

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
First, its more secure than Windows, and it wont get viruses or trojans.
You cannot change the "skin."
Seems to me that you dont know a good thing when you are on to it, your employer wasted their money on the best OS around!
Of course,if its a new model, you can use it with windows too, depends on whether your workplace will allow you to install it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Either learn how to use OS X (it's not hard) or get your company to get you a Windows machine.

You can't alter to look of OS X to Windows and even if you could it would still *be* OS X.

Unless this thread is a windup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Anyhow, I'm a Windows user and just don't like that OS X Windows GUI.

Get off the machine and let someone who will appreciate it use it.

* I suspect a windup also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Macs are PCs just like any other brand. Why don't you just reformat the HD and install Windows on it?

Also, the "Are you really, really sure you want to start the application you clicked on?" box in Windows is there to protect you from Windows viruses and other malware. Since OS X is immune to Windows viruses, it is unnecessary to have the OS asking you "Are you sure?" every time you run a program.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you have no need for Mac OS X, it seems odd to me that your employer would have gone to such expense if there wasn't a particular piece of software or facet of the system that you needed OS X specifically for.

The good news is, as Jaygray alluded to, there's no reason you can't just install Vista on it and be done with it. OS X is not really skinnable and certain aspects of the Windows GUI just follow a different paradigm than OS X does. So, if it's going to be a huge problem for you, I'd suggest you check with your IT department about getting Windows installed on it instead. It can be done either via Boot Camp, or you can just blow away the OS X partition altogether and start with a clean install of Vista.

dtx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum MB, 2.0, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd
sounds like a spoof post to me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
blasphemy!
This thread hurts my soul... lol Angels are crying right now reading this thread.

What is it they say? Different strokes for different folks. For some people, Windows is the best fit. More power to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Hahahahaaaa.. hahahahaaa. ah.

Thats a joke right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
there rly isn't anything to rply to this :D it just hurts to see this :D

"install a start menu" now that rly throws me off ... no hope for u man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
Honestly there is no reason to make either os look like each other. all you need to do is understand the differences.

instead of going to control panel you go to system preferences. Instead of clicking start-> shut down you hit apple ->shut down. instead of hitting start-> applications you hit go-> applications

installing and uninstalling is even easier and more organized in osx. just use osx for awhile. its not as difficult to change as it seems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
instead of hitting start-> applications you hit go-> applications

Or drag your Applications folder and make a Stack out of it........instant (but much more useful) "Start" menu.

Reaction score
you know.. give it a try. i am new to mac.. and the only thing i don't like.. is the fact that i don't KNOW it. the look of mac though?? wayyy nicer then windows. it looks a lot cleaner. yeah.. you know pc.. but that is probably because you are used to it. give your mac a try.. the way that it is.. and get even just a little used to it before wanting to change your mind. you might just really like it :)

/hopes that makes sense... it's 12 30 and i'm tired..

Reaction score
This is so obviously a wind up, stop wasting your breath replying to trolls!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Dear Forum:

My workplace recently purchased me one of those aluminum-chassis full-tower workstations; it took a bit of figuring to identify it, but it looks like a pretty good model, with a dual-core 2ghz cpu & 4 gigabytes of memory.

Anyhow, I'm a Windows user and just don't like that OS X Windows GUI. Can you tell me how to get a Windows skin for it so that it handles like Vista? I've already renamed the icons so I can remember them - like "Macintosh HDD" to "My Computer", etc....but I can't figure out how to install a start menu on it.

Also, my Vista computer is pretty good about asking me when applications try to run things without my knowledge - I don't really like all the popups, but at least I know I'm safe. Can I fix my Mac so that it asks me before just running things? I feel nervous that maybe its not secure..

Thanks;

Tim

One more thing... if a Start menu is your main concern, there's a trick you can pull off that produces something similar. Drag your Applications folder into your dock (to the right of the divider somewhere). Right-click it and make sure it sorts by name, displays as a folder, and has "View content as" set to "List." Now when you click on the icon for your Applications folder in the Dock, the contents of your applications folder appears right there in a tidy fashion similar to how the Start menu's "All Programs" option does it. System Preferences is already in the Dock, and you can drag your most-used apps right into the Dock yourself. Then, if you go into the Dock section under System Preferences and set it to display your Dock on the left, I'm sure it can feel pretty similar to a start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.