When to buy an iPhone

Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally made the switch to Mac--ordered a Macbook and now want an iPhone. My question is: when should I buy it? I know Schiller said that the iPhone lifecycle is "June", so maybe this June Apple will release iPhone 3.0--or drop the price on the existing models. What do you all think? Worth waiting until June/July? My only concern: if Apple doesn't release new hardware until June *2010*, maybe it's best to buy the iPhone now and take advantage of upgrade pricing then.

Your thoughts? iPhone 3.0/price drop/etc. in June 2009 or June 2010?

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Not sure what more they can add to a newer iPhone that can't be taken care of with an OS upgrade (ie: 2.2 to 2.3 or 3.0) other than hardware upgrades like a 3 megapixel camera, more capacity (32GB) or smaller footprint.

None of which would affect me either way because I hardly use the camera, 8GB is more than enough for me and the iPhone is small enough for my hands as it is. ;)

I would get one now if you really can't wait - the only thing that kept me from getting the first gen iPhone was lack of 3G and GPS. Once the 2nd gen was released I got one immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Buy one when you need it. If you can wait, then wait. If not, then the current iPhone is an amazing little device and you will be more than happy with it.

Reaction score
I wouldn't wait......they've crammed just about everything they can into the iphone and the software will continue to get better with updates so go get it!!

OP
J
Reaction score
It is hard to wait, but I suspect that in June Apple will release a super-powerful model that is worth waiting for...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not so sure they will the economy is not so good more layoffs each month
that means less people buying shinny new products.

Reaction score
No no, Apple still needs to add new battery tech to the iPhone so it has a longer battery life. They'd most likely add a faster processor too. Whether it's Silver-Zinc or just the better batteries like the Macbook Pro, Apple should address this in June/July. Maybe make the iPhone compatible with N networks and make it thinner. The chances of an iPhone Nano are highly slim because if the screen gets any smaller it'd be even harder to type. Maybe Apple has more innovative things planned for the iPhone than we don't even know about. You never know with Apple.

I can't believe I actually thought the iPhone Nano was coming just because people made cases for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No no, Apple still needs to add new battery tech to the iPhone so it has a longer battery life. They'd most likely add a faster processor too. Whether it's Silver-Zinc or just the better batteries like the Macbook Pro, Apple should address this in June/July. Maybe make the iPhone compatible with N networks and make it thinner. The chances of an iPhone Nano are highly slim because if the screen gets any smaller it'd be even harder to type. Maybe Apple has more innovative things planned for the iPhone than we don't even know about. You never know with Apple.

I can't believe I actually thought the iPhone Nano was coming just because people made cases for it.
Those smaller cases could still materialize into a smaller TOUCH
which might make more sense.

Reaction score
Well, I'd suggest getting the iPhone after the June 2009 update. I'm most likely getting a 16GB model because they'd probably add a 32GB model to their line making the 16GB version $100 cheaper. The processor in the iPhone will be a lot faster and it will probably have a bunch of new features that we don't know about so wait until June 2009 before you decide. I'm not sure if they'll drop the price again now that it's already available to the international market but who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'd suggest getting the iPhone after the June 2009 update. I'm most likely getting a 16GB model because they'd probably add a 32GB model to their line making the 16GB version $100 cheaper. The processor in the iPhone will be a lot faster and it will probably have a bunch of new features that we don't know about so wait until June 2009 before you decide. I'm not sure if they'll drop the price again now that it's already available to the international market but who knows.

From everything I read the reason they went with the arm prossessor in the
first place was battery life thats not saying they will not up the anti but better
batteries will probably come first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The iPhone's processor is already running at 667MHz, making it one of the fastest handhelds out in the market. What Apple needs to do is not add an even faster processor (that would decrease battery life) but rather to streamline the iPhone OS much in the same way it's doing with Snow Leopard. Look at the Palm Pre, it's seemingly much faster than the iPhone OS, even though the latter has faster hardware. If not 2.3, then let's hope this is on the table for 3.0 at the very latest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air
if you want the next generation iPhones, then wait it out for another 4-5 months.

but if i were you, i'd go with the iPhone 3G. I LOVE MINE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.