Time Machine question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Ok, I have hooked up an external HD and am using TIme Machine. So far it has performed 2 backups which have gone fine.
My question is, I have deleted some pictures on my MBP on purpose. The same pics were on the last back up on Time Machine so as it stands the pictures are on Time Machine and not on the PC. When I next back up Time Machine will obviously perform the backup and this back up will not have the pics either. When it comes to keeping the latest back up will Time Machine keep the backup with the pics included or the backup without the pics?

Hope this makes sense :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Time machine backups are incremental not just one big block backup.

It takes a full backup of your Mac to start with and then subsequent backups are just the changes. It will have a record of both the time you had the pics and now that your don't. Once you have backedup this time fire up the Time Machine app and have a look at the folder where your pics were to see what I mean.

The time and 'depth' of the backups is only limited by the disk space you have.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
As the other responder stated, TM performs an incremental backup and the pics you deleted are still in your older backups.

To delete them, enter TM, navigate to an instance of one of the pics in an older backup, select it, and choose (from the action menu) 'Delete All Backups of'...

That will do just what it says: delete all backups of the selected file from all previous backups.

Hope this helps.

Ken

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
Thank you guys, thats perfectly explained. Much appreciated :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Aluminum body 15 inch 2.4 ghz 2 GB ram 250 HD
Ok. I am new to mac and just reformatted my lacie 250 gb rugged drive, which i have loved for a year, and have a question. I want to delete things off my hard drive now to save room. Will they delete off the backup next time i do it? It sounds like they won't delete until the backup drive gets full and needs to delete the older saves, right? If that is the case, then my stuff i take off the computer is not safe eternally.
Is that the case?
And also, will I have to go back into the other times to find those files? If so, maybe I want to start over and use lacie's 1 click backup for mac and control it all myself.
Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Aluminum body 15 inch 2.4 ghz 2 GB ram 250 HD
So I rebooted from tm and found i couldn't back up to that spot anymore. it wanted to start over. The tech didn't tell me this. I had to drag the backup to the trash and delete it and then redo the entire TM backup. Hassle but I guess I understand since I did restore to a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.