Help Choosing Wireless N Router.. What Router Do You Use & Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
So I'm in the market for a new wireless N router, these are the ones im considering

D-Link Australia & New Zealand - DGL-4500

Belkin : N1 ADSL2+ Wireless Modem Router

Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router

I have been reading heaps on routers, checking benchmark tests and things like that..

I really would like to get an Airport, but I saw a benchmark test where it was lagging speed at only a short distance and that is a worry for me.. as I'm on a laptop around the house most days..

Just some feedback and advice would be sweet.

I have been looking for a Dual freq router as I live in the CBD of the city in a fairly big apartment complex and there are a few wireless networks around.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the best possible connection I can..

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I should mention..

I was using a modem & separate router up until about a month ago when I switched to a modem/router combined.

I was finding that with the router and separate modem I was getting some sort of connection problems ( LAG ) if you will..

Some web pages would stop loading or wouldn't load at all, then refresh them and it was ok, youtube wouldn't load etc..

I updated firmware of both modem and router and still no luck. It was only when I switched to the router/modem combined that this stoped..

Strange I know.. this has kinda put me off using 2 devices.. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
63 people viewed my post but no replys? lol

Everyone is connected by ethernet? Haha..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use a D-Link DIR-655, which is an awesome router with excellent range. I also like the fact that it has a full Gigabit ethernet switch built into it. I'm not sure if it's available in the south Pacific, but I would highly recommend it. In my opinion, dual-band is not really necessary unless you need to separate channels for the purposes of streaming. Otherwise, I don't think there will be much tangible benefit to prevent interference. All Wi-Fi routers allow you to change to one of 12 different channels to keep your signal from butting heads with another router.

Aside from that, my advice would be to stick with the major vendors (Linksys, Netgear and D-Link). Avoid Belkin (like the plague it is), Buffalo and any other no-name brand.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just not many people will have one of those new dual-band n routers to be able to provide feedback.

Like cwa, I have a DIR-655 along with a Time Capsule and it's built-in Airport Extreme. After using Linksys for quite a few years, the D-Link has been a great router and made me a convert for the present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 4GB 320HD,4TH GEN 8GB SILVER NANO, 8GB Black Nano, 16GB 2G iPod Touch
Just curious as why you would use a separate wireless router with a Time Capsule that already has it built in.Is this for extra security purposes?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had the D-Link first. It sits in the office at one end of the house and connects directly to the modem. I prefer the D-Link here, as it provides much more control of settings than the TM does. As you know, these 'household' routers only have 4 outlets. That one is connected to 2 Win machines, the network printer and have run a wire from there to the opposite side of the house where it is connected to the TM.

The TM is then wired to my HD DVD player, Blu-Ray and satellite box with a spare for connecting to one of my Mac's when I want to watch Netflix or other streamed content on the big screen there. Although, even with Netflix, it's probably not really needed.

I also have two wireless networks. The TM is running a 'n' only network and is used with my Mac's only. The D-Link is running a 'g/n' network primarily for my PS3 which uses g. But it's also there when I'm on that side of the house with my MBP and start noticing a slow down from the TM. Switching to the D-Link network is only a click away on the Menu Bar.

Eventually, I'll probably get a more commercial router in a centralized location that I can run at least 10-12 wired connections around the house. I really could use 3 wired connections in the bedroom now.

(sorry to steal your thread bennji)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I've just moved from a DLink - which was fine - To a 500gb Timecapsule. And I have to say that so far the Timecapsule is superb. I haven't noticed any lack in speed. It was easy to set up and I love having auto back up for all my computers.

The Dlink however did have far more control over settings.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agh - Well I went out today and picked up a DIR 635

Problem solved lol

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bobtomay - Sorry to bring this up again. I just ask as I'm sure out D-LINK's both have the same interface..

I just wanna know, can you tell me how to block Limewire or at least slow it down via the router if possible?

My flatmate downloads like there is no tomorrow which kinda leaves me high and dry when I want to use the net for general surfing etc..

Suggestions?

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked the QoS Engine Setup - if I just add my flatmates IP address and set the priority of that IP address lower then mine, and set her limewire to only download 1 thing at a time will this help me?

Im just sick of being reduced to nearly standing still when she decides to download 5 episodes of one tree hill at a time lol

Will I have to change the local port range or anything else like that or can I just enter her IP and set it to (255) which is the lowest priority (1 being my machine)??

Sorry to be a pest lol

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I think I have done it correctly.. ?
Picture1.png

i just want to ask one other thing.. With my last router, I had the choice to select if each computer that connects keeps the same IP or obtains a new one..

Do I have to or is there an option to do so with these D-LINK routers..?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how to help on the downloading side. I only have to deal with me and the wife. That 60 yr old woman I live with doesn't do a whole lot of downloading of that sort of stuff. ;) And the kid has been out of the house since before the internet as we know it today. I'm one of those the reverse of what you usually think about. In my family it's the kid that calls the parent for computer advice.

As for reserving IP addresses, if the same location as mine - go to the Setup tab, then to Network Settings on the left side.

You can set up the IP range for your DHCP server and add reservations there. You don't really need to do that though. I've only set up reservations for my MBP, the TC and the printer. Don't ask why, just did it one day. Probably doesn't make any difference though.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha - Ok well I'll have a look at the reservations thing and see how I go.. I just dont want the router to keep assigning new IP addys everytime we all connect.

And lol @ your kid ringing for advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Why don't you just ask him to stop downloading all the time?

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I have but it doesn't work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never used it myself - Maybe try something like installing remote desktop without their knowledge.
And then when you're wanting to go on the web, you can sneak on their computer from your machine and pause all those torrents. :Mischievous:

Or go into the router and set it up by MAC address and disable theirs.

Of course, then she'll want your expert computer advice to help her figure out what's wrong with her machine. But, just plead ignorance.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha - Yeah I have tried and exhausted a few things.. I'm just going to stick with what I know and ban the IP when it gets too slow lol.

Thank you for your tolerance with this matter!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.