dmg file "mounting failed"

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently switched from being a pc user to a mac user and i love my mac but i have had a few issues with it freezing and tonight i've had another one :(

I have just bought the new unibody aluinium macbook and I tried to download second life (for the msc os) and after it taking hours to actually download the file (which was 61mbs) it said "mounting failed" and came up with a message saying error 4009.

I then downloaded it again and it happened again.

The file is a dmg file. I was really looking forward to starting using SL on my mac as I couldn't on my pc!

Any suggestions what to do please! this is the first thing I have downloaded, bar an update for itunes and some photos sent via bluetooth on my mobile.

thank you,

Vicki

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just downloaded Second Life and the image mounted OK. Both of your downloads probably had errors or corruption. If it took several hours to download it, your connection is too slow and prone to errors. Best thing I can suggest is have a friend download it for you and copy the file to a thumb disk and transfer it to your machine. Or get a faster connection.

(It only took my high speed connection about 2 minutes to download the 61 MB DMG file.)

Regards.

Reaction score
It doesn't seem that you should be having any freezing issues. You might want to have that looked at. If it took hours to download, it could be that you have some internet connection issues (took 2 minutes here - cable modem).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Took just under 1 minute to download on my connection (cable modem and wireless).

Agreed with both of the above. You shouldn't have had to deal with multiple freezing issues in a short time. Between that and internet issues you're having, would suggest visiting your nearest Apple store. (Call for an appointment.) When dealing with electronics, an occasional malfunctioning machine gets through, no matter the brand name on the outside.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hello,

Thankyou for the informative replies.

When i downloaded it for the first time the speed was between 3 and 5mgb per sec, half way through the download it went up to between 70 and 80mbp sec!

I did a test for the connection speed of my house and BT (my isp) gave the result as being 5 MB per sec, is that slow or fast?

I have the new BT Home Hub and everything seems to be working as it should be.

I can try the thumbnail image thing.

But i just wondered, my mum has a new laptop which runs windows, can i download secondlife to this and then copy the thumbnail version and would this be okay for my mac? or do i have to download it to another mac then copy the thumbnail version?

Any further help is hugley appreciated!!

Vicki :)

OP
V
Reaction score
I decided to connect my mac via ethernet cable and then i downloaded sl again and it did it fine and within 2 mins!

my question now is how do i install this application?!

Thankyou,

vicki

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I decided to connect my mac via ethernet cable and then i downloaded sl again and it did it fine and within 2 mins!

my question now is how do i install this application?!

You did download the Mac OS X version, right? There are versions for Windows and Linux on the same site....

If you have the correct version and it comes with an installer, run the installation program and follow directions. If no installer, just drag the icon to your applications folder.

Also see the following guide.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.