Mount a linux (ext3) drive in a VM instance of Linux

Reaction score
I am running OS X 10.5.5 on a Mac Pro (10GB RAM) and have parallels running virtual machines with Win XP and Ubuntu 8.1.
I have moved a SATA drive formatted ext3 (single partition) from an Ubuntu system to the Mac.
OS X sees the drive and offers to format it, but I decline since I would like to recover the data. The Mac then ignores the drive.
I assumed I would be able to mount and read the ext3 partition under a virtual machine running linux, but no. :[ The linux virtual machine will not see the SATA drive that is not already mounted on the Mac.
In 20-20 hindsight, I should have backed up all the data to CD/DVD in some common format.

I would like to either mount the ext3 (read-only is fine) on the Mac, OR have some way to mount the partition from within linux.

Any suggestions other than getting another computer and building a linux box to copy the data off?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

You got some good advice from bobtomay. Here's another suggestion that might help:

I've used this installable driver in the past to mount my ext2 and ext3 partitions from within Windows XP.

What I suggest is boot to Windows XP with the ext IFS driver loaded, and use Explorer or any other file manager from Windows to copy your files and rescue any data. I've done this numerous times from Windows with success.

It's fast, easy, and free.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, both of you, for the excellent suggestions. I probably will not buy the ExtFS (yet) since I only need to copy the data and then will probably reformat the drive for more compatibility. A one time operation.
I do like the suggestion of loading a freeware driver onto a virtual Windows and use that. When I looked I did not locate such a driver that sounded trustworthy, but your suggestion looks good and I will likely try it.

The alternative that I came up with was booting from a DVD version of Linux, which presumably will be able to read the Linux formatted drive and not the Mac partitions. However, I can then copy the data to either an external USB drive, or could reformat the lightly used internal "scratch" drive to a mutually compatible format and move the data that way.
Again, thanks!

I will post here later to let others know how it came out... maybe it will help someone later.

OP
G
Reaction score
Nope the "mount from windows" option is just like the "mount from linux" option: it can't see the partition if it's not already mounted on the Mac system.

I should have guessed that, I suppose. I will try the "boot from Linux dvd" when I get a chance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.