Why does iTunes do this with my unchecked songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Reached the threshold of my iPod, all 60 gigs of it. So I uncheck songs I don't listen to on the thing but I'd still love to hear on my home setup.

The problem is that when it's done with a checked song, it skips the unchecked songs automatically and goes right to the checked music. Is there a way to keep it from doing this? (iTunes 8)

Reaction score
You will probably need to make a playlist with the songs that you want synced to your ipod and then only sync that list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
To expand on what Vojko said, I've had great success by creating a smart playlist that includes all songs unless they have a 1 star rating, and set that playlist to be synced to the iPod rather than all music. Then I just give a 1-star rating to anything I only want to keep around on my home setup. (The playlist includes unrated songs as well as higher rated ones, since I don't want to go through and rate every single song in my library ... ugh.)

One beauty of this approach is that if I'm listening to a song on the iPod sometime and decide I don't need it on there anymore, I just give it a 1-star rating on the iPod itself, right then and there while I'm thinking about it. Then the next time I sync the iPod, it automatically both updates iTunes with that rating and removes the song from the iPod. Very slick.

OP
EGGO
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Eh, don't know if I'll do it that way. I have 58 regular/smart playlists. Two of the smart playlists depend on the 5-star and 4-star ratings. Yes, all of them are used...well maybe 55 of them are used.

I could see that happen if I have a relatively small amount of music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.