Mass-manipulation of file information...

Reaction score
Running 10.5 on an iBook G4.

Question is as follows, but you can read the old question below if you think you may have further insight into the specifics of my problem.

Is there a way to mass manipulate the sharing properties of a group of file folders? Essentially, I have a good many read only files which I need to swap to read & write.

Original question:

I use various old HDs for external drives, including a 20 gig ex Mac drive which is the subject at hand. I'm dealing with the moving around of a good many mp3 files, ripped from my own collection years ago to DVD-Rs. I have no problem using, manipulating and sorting these files on the computer's HD, and I have no problem copying these files to the external drive. But for some reason, every time I try to move or change one of these files or folders once on the drive, it demands a password. This is tedious! I've got thousands of albums i'm trying to sort out so I can actually locate this music when I want it. I've tried everything thing I can find and think of to get around this, but nothing works. Do I need to format the drive in a different way? I think it's straight journal extended at the moment. Or is this simply an issue of dealing with an external drive? Or is it the way I burned the music way back when, which was originally done on a PC?

Not trying to waste your time, sorry. OK, seems the DVD-R is the trouble at hand. When I change the individual Read&Write permissions of the album files, they move around and rename just fine. But do I really need to individually change these for every album? Is there no way to group manipulate file information?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm tearing my hair out here. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you are moving files around that are not boot drives, then select get into on the non-boot drives and tick Ignore ownership on this volume

That will make file management on those volumes easier (but don't select this option on a boot drive)

Reaction score
Have you tried opening a Terminal, cd-ing to the folder with your mp3s and running chmod 644 *.mp3 in that directory?

OP
K
Reaction score
heh heh. No. That sounds very exciting but you went right over my head on that score. Tell me more?

Reaction score
You will find terminal app in Applications under Utilities.

chmod is a command that sets file's permissions.

with 644 you set read+write permissions to the owner of the file.
And read only permissions to everyone else.

More info you can get when you type man chmod in the Terminal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.