Macbook Pro with External Monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro/3G iPhone/8GB nano/30GB iPod Video
I have a MacBook Pro and a very nice external monitor that I'd like to use rather than buy an iMac for the screen size. So I want to use the MBP with the ext. monitor while the MBP lid is closed. Can someone help me set this up? OR can I even do that? Thanks

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro and a very nice external monitor that I'd like to use rather than buy an iMac for the screen size. So I want to use the MBP with the ext. monitor while the MBP lid is closed. Can someone help me set this up? OR can I even do that? Thanks

Yes it's possible, but I think I have read somewhere this will cause to much heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
You need a Blutooth keyboard of mouse.
Set the computer to 'wake on Blutooth'.
Shut the lid wate till sleep then click the mouse or hit the space bar.
I think the apple remote wakes the computer too but not sure.
I also think you need the power adapter plugged in.
Full info on apple support pages.
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
You don't have to have bluetooth at all, just a usb keyboard and mouse will do fine.

Plug in the monitor, close the lid and let the computer go to sleep. Then hit spacebar on the keyboard and it should wake up the computer.

People are worried about heating issues, but heat exits the back of the computer so I don't see why you should be worried. Apple says that it is fine to use the laptop like this with no worries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
Usb? Man, that would of been cheaper!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
Usb? Man, that would of been cheaper!!

Yeah I have an old turquoise mac keyboard that I use, works perfectly and It has a power button heh.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro/3G iPhone/8GB nano/30GB iPod Video
Have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Your suggestions worked brilliantly. Thanks everyone. I am nit sure about the USB option, but the bluetooth set up specifically says bluetooth to wake. nothing about USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB, GeForce 9400M
That's how I use my new MacBook exclusively. It's very simple. You can use EITHER bluetooth or USB. And yes, you do have to have it plugged in to power. Just plug everything in, close the lid, and then hit a button on your keyboard or click your mouse. Simple as that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.