Xbox 360 Working with iMac Wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
Ok, i'm going to try and explain this is in as little words as i can :)

I live in university halls, that uses ethernet that i use with my iMac flawlessly and it never disconnects, but when i plug it into my xbox it disconnects from xbox live every 5 minutes, so it makes online gaming virtually impossible :(

I had the idea of sharing my wired connection wireless and my xbox 360 adapter picking it up, but it doesn't work and ive read around that its because i'm using a mac.

Anyone know how to get around this, I've tried some guides but with no success, i have no router, my broadband comes from the wall btw.

Thanks if anyone can help!

dtx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum MB, 2.0, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd
simplest answer.. get a router.

i do it with my Windows box, but I'm fairly new to Mac. It's called "bridge" your internet connection. I'm sure it's possible. Google :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
simplest answer.. get a router.

i do it with my Windows box, but I'm fairly new to Mac. It's called "bridge" your internet connection. I'm sure it's possible. Google :)

Agreed, entirely. You can use your Mac as a wireless access point, but considering how picky the 360 is about wireless connections, I think you'll find it's more hassle than it's worth (and the same would apply to a Windows machine).

You can pick up a decent wireless router for less than $75 and it will save you quite a bit of hassle and offer a better degree of flexibility.

dtx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum MB, 2.0, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd
$75?! try $35! haha!
Since the xbox only supports Wireless G anyway, just get a basic wireless G box. The Linksys WRT54G is a great machine and sells for about $45 (Canadian).
You could even just get a wired router and plug them both in. That's a cheaper and more secure option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
Couldn't you use the ethernet connected to an airport express? Granted it's $99 US. But it would give you more uses than just the Xbox, like streaming itunes to speakers or a stereo.

I am currently using an Airport Express with ethernet to my HDDVR to watch on demand items thru Directv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
FYI I got my last Airport express on ebay for like $59. I have 3 of them in the house.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would the xbox wireless adapter work with the wireless signal that airport express gives, or would i be in the same predicament as before with trying to send the imac wireless to the adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To my understanding the Xbox adapt is the only adapter that works. There is a Pelican adapter, but, I read they are not as reliable. The airport would be sending out a similar signal that the Xbox wireless is looking for.

If you have a wireless signal being broadcast, you just need the Xbox wireless adapter.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks i will try it, i just hope before because when i was transmitting the wireless signal from the imac the xbox adapt knew that there was a signal it just didn't work with the xbox 360.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.