• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Help!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to video editing, and I've run into more problems than I'd like to count with getting video files from a digital camcorder to my Mac.

My current problem is that I have the Sony Handycam HDR-SR12 and the video files that I'm pulling off of it are mpeg2 that Final Cut Express ISN'T recognizing. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS?

I have some software that converts video files to all kinds of different formats, but I'm having to downgrade my video quality to do this, and it looks TERRIBLE...

Also, when I open Final Cut Express (version 4) it tells my that my graphics card isn't good enough to support the "OpenGL" formatting...could this be the reason why Final Cut isn't opening the file? I'm getting an error message every time I try to import the vid files.

Any comments would be appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
What are the specs of the computer you are running?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.