• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble connecting macbook to TV via composite video cable

Reaction score
Hey

I recently bought the Dynex minidvi to s-video+composite converter. I used the composite video cable to connect my macbook to my TV. All the dv displays are grey fuzzy areas and lines that move when the macbook is connected to the TV. I've done some reading, and gotten a few ideas on other forums about what could be the problem. I've heard that it could be that I am not using monster cables. Ive also have read that I must switch my refresh rate from 60hz to 50hz in refresh rate for TV Display. However I don't have access to that window, which could be because of my converter. Could someone please help me pinpoint the exact problem here, and help me come up with a solution?
Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Verify the yellow cable ends are plugged into the same yellow connection at both ends.

Unplug them and plug them back in to make sure they are tight.

Try a different composite connection on the TV to rule out the individual input.

You definitely don't need to go spend the outrageous cash Monster gets at retail for their cables.

Have you tried mirrored and non-mirrored modes?
While in System Preferences - Displays, in mirrored mode, the window for both the desktop and the TV should show up on your MB monitor. You may have to move one to see the other.

What is the make and model of the TV?

Also,make sure you have the correct input set in the TV menu.

OP
M
Reaction score
everything is secure, and i havent connected any audio. And yes I've tried mirror and non mirror modes, I've tried moving all directions and its just disorted. Its like flipping to a channel that has no service on tv. My tv make is a sony projection tv, its not hd or lcd and does not support hdmi. Only way to connect macbook is to use composite video.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the TV does not have another composite input you can try and you don't have an S-video cable to test that, next step is going to be either testing with a different adapter and/or testing on another TV.

(Yeah, I know, makes it hard when you only have one of each item.)

Reaction score
I've got the same problem. What screen resolution should I be using. I see something on the back of my tv that says 60HZ, so that should help. Don't know which numbers to pick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel + eMac 1.25 GHz + Black Macbook coreduo 2 Ghz
The problem is probably the Dynex adapter (which i regrettably just bought too). After unplugging the svideo cable from my previous setup (eMac to lcd tv via svideo) and plugging the adapter into my macbook (yes, it's a pre-2009), i realized that my macbook recognizes the screen but that no signal at all is being sent. I spent an hour or so researching this problem only to realize that most people who bought this adapter have either a faulty image or no image at all. You are better off with the Apple Mini DVI To Video Adapter.

Reaction score
funkypoodle hit the nail on the head. Apple's adapter is best for a cheap solution. But you'll also have to set your resolution to be it's best on the TV, although the TV will never be as clear as your Mac's screen, period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel + eMac 1.25 GHz + Black Macbook coreduo 2 Ghz
I took back the Dynex & bought an Apple one & it works right away! All of a sudden i have the option to use 60HZ or 50HZ and screen resolutions that weren't showing with the Dynex one plugged in. On the other hand now that it is working, for some reason the 'best for video' option I usually use is grayed-out...Anybody have a fix for this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.