question about the parallel

Reaction score
Hi
I decided to try Parallel on old black macbook
and I had a question before I install it.
All the example showed on online was opening window on mac
but I was wondering if it would be possible to open mac on window.
Like, boot up with window first, then open mac with parallel.

Also, would parallel too much to run on old black macbook?
The spec is factory spec, but I only upgraded RAM to 2GB

Thanks so much

Reaction score
I have a black macbook with 2 GB, which is plenty (I run Fusion but it would be the same with Parallels). Note that you can download free trial versions of both Parallels and Fusion to see what works for you - which I highly recommend.

I'm not quite sure I understand your first question, but if you are asking what I think you are asking, the answer is no. Under Parallels/Fusion, Windows is running in virtual, "soft" machine within the OSX operating system. When you start a VM in Parallels, it is not running Windows natively on your system. You can run windows in a window, you can also run individual Windows programs in their own windows without seeing the Windows OS background at all, or you can run Windows full screen and toggle back to Mac OS if you like. But it's all within OSX, so you can't really run "OSX in a Window" under Parallels. And you have to buy a copy of Windows to make it go.

If you were to run Boot Camp and boot Windows natively, and you could somehow install a Mac OSX virtual machine in there, you could run OSX in a window under Windows, but since Apple doesn't sell or license OSX for use on any machine other than a Mac, you can't do it.

Hope that answers your question. You will really like Parallels/Fusion, it's a great way to run Windows - probably the safest way to do so. Just remember, once you install it, be sure and install an anti-virus along with it.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your help
you got my first question right, i was asking that
and I was wishing that I could run OSX on window,
but I guess it only works on only one way, window in OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you're concerned about the look/practicality of Windows in a window, there is a keyboard shortcut to make Windows fullscreen. (Alt-Enter) It looks just like it is running natively.

OP
S
Reaction score
I was mainly concerned about doing intense work on window,
I am thinking,
since window would be running on 'virtual' memory,
doing intense work or running heavy programs would affect the mac alot.
right?

Reaction score
Actually, it does not affect the Mac at all, because you allocate a specific amount of memory to the virtual machine in the settings. For example, on my macbook with 2 GB, I allocate 512 mb to XP and it runs fine. For Vista/Windows 7, I allocate 1 GB. The Mac uses the remainder, and runs fine also, even at the same time. It's quite slick. Give it a try and you'll be pleased.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.