WD Passport Help? FW 800 to 400 + USB Cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I have a WD passport studio

My Passport Studio 320 GB Triple Interface Hard Drives ( WDMT3200 )

The main reason I brought it was because of its FW but it is only FW400 which I was aware of when purchasing.. As I have a white MacBook this was really handy..

Now I want to but a new MacBook and it only has FW800 - Curiosity got the better of me and I started to wonder if I could use a FW800 cable from the HDD or if there would be compatibility issues and so forth..

I then read that apparently the HDD I have ships with a USB, FW800 to FW400 (which is what I use) and FW 800 to FW800.

Can I buy a FW800 - FW800 cable either from them or just online from someone else and will it just work?

Has anyone has any luck in doing so?

Or any input would really be appreciated as I really do not want to go back to USB 2.0.

I will include the link that I found the review about the cables..

Western Digital My Passport Studio Review

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you plan on purchasing a new MacBook Pro which has the FW800 port. New MacBook (aluminum) lacks any Fire Wire ports. :(

The cable you were looking at will work. Using it as FW400 from the drive adapting it to FW800 to the MBP. The only thing you need to be aware of is when you use that type of adapter, you lose the speed of FW. In my opinion, you may be just as well off using the USB 2.0 connector on the drive and going straight on in to the MBP.

After all, it's not a matter of being able to boot from the WD as it can boot your new MBP even from USB 2.0.

Regards.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Agh - I was wondering about that..

I did think that perhaps that would be the case. I don' think that I will spend the extra on a MBP just for FW.

I think I will stick to getting a new MB and just use USB 2.0

However I am disappointed lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.