Making phone calls through my Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm not COMPLETELY new, but still a little rough around the edges. My cell phone has been successfully connected to my laptop in the past, but tonight it's not going so smoothly. It's pairing up just fine, but then saying it's not connected. Also, it has never worked with iSync. I have a Palm centro.. I would think that would work.

However, my REAL question is: is it possible to make an outgoing call to a landline/cell with my macbook pro(for free)? I know skype makes internet-internet for free, but i'm looking for call to a phone. I'm not looking for any illegal program or anything, just wondering if there is a way to use your computer as a sort of "bluetooth headset" for your phone. My GPS can do it, I don't see why my computer can't. I've even successfully used my cell phone as a modem with my macbook, but I can't seem to use the computer as a speakerphone or to dial! Grr.

Just as an aside, if someone can help me get iSync working, that would be great too. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
:S

I used Skype to call my dads cell and it didn't cost me anything..

OP
S
Reaction score
Even if there is no third party software, I'm curious how to make my bluetooth work in this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Not sure about calling from your computer, but as for iSync, I don't know the problem you are having but try The Missing Sync for Palm OS It is far superior to i Sync. I used to use it when I had a Treo 755P and I currently use it for my Windows Mobile phone, it works great, and doesn't cost much.

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm not COMPLETELY new, but still a little rough around the edges. My cell phone has been successfully connected to my laptop in the past, but tonight it's not going so smoothly. It's pairing up just fine, but then saying it's not connected. Also, it has never worked with iSync. I have a Palm centro.. I would think that would work.

However, my REAL question is: is it possible to make an outgoing call to a landline/cell with my macbook pro(for free)? I know skype makes internet-internet for free, but i'm looking for call to a phone. I'm not looking for any illegal program or anything, just wondering if there is a way to use your computer as a sort of "bluetooth headset" for your phone. My GPS can do it, I don't see why my computer can't. I've even successfully used my cell phone as a modem with my macbook, but I can't seem to use the computer as a speakerphone or to dial! Grr.

Just as an aside, if someone can help me get iSync working, that would be great too. Thanks :)

As a matter of fact I wast just looking for an app to do that and I found two, one is Bluephone Elite 2 works great, except no texting, you pair both the iPhone (in my case) and the Mac book, follow the instructions is simple, and is ready, activates and icon in the lower portion "right click" and pick from the menu, call, send message, (text is not supported) , one thing though, the trial period is 2 days only, and for some reason is not for sale anymore, I ignore the reasons, but I tried and I can tell you, it really works; the other app, which I didn't try is Phone Amego I suppose works in a similar way, I couldn't find the trial version, and it costs $29.99, I'm still debating on buying it, but I think the functionality is there. I do recommend to read all the pertinent information from the sellers, specially the disclaimers where they talk about the computer and the phone could lose connection (pair). Good luck!

C

chas_m

Putting aside the Palm thing for a minute, there are several ways to make inexpensive or free phone calls to real telephones using the Mac.

1. Skype (I know it was already mentioned, but) will sell you a plan for unlimited outgoing calls to any phone number in North America for $30/year. Sign up for that and they'll offer you the option of buying a US incoming number for another $30. Not bad for $5 a month if you're near your computer most of the working day.

(the OP who said he called his dad's cell on Skype without charge probably doesn't know his dad has signed up for this exact deal, most likely)

2. Facetime. Instant video calling between Macs and iOS devices with cameras. Free but requires Wi-Fi on both ends.

3. iChat. Not much different than Facetime but requires a login and both parties to be on AIM or iChat itself. Messaging, audio or video conferencing, file transfer, screen sharing and not pretty much compatible with all the major services for at least audio except one (MSN).

4. iMessage. Again, only between Macs and iOS devices running the latest. Free texting, not calling, but hey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.