iPhone Push Problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same or similar issue. I have two mail accounts that sync to my iphone from Entourage, one of them is a Gmail account and the other is an account from my own domain.

I'm finding that when my phone checks for mail (before Entourage does) and finds something on the server, that may have just come through and Entourage hasn't received yet, it gets pushed to my iPhone. No problems there. But say this happens when I'm out, when I get home and open Entourage, it will check for new messages but not find any.

This is posing a problem as some things that get sent I really need to work on in Entourage.

I have made sure that in both my account settings, I have left messages on the server..

Could it just be a case, that once its pushed from the server its automatically removed? Its the only thing I can think of.. If this is not the case what could it be and what can I do to resolve the matter at hand?

I'm running 10.5.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What you are describing isn't "Push", it's "Pull". The iPhone and Entourage go out and query the server. "Push" is where the server automatically sends it to your phone or client without either having to initiate contact.

Unless your e-mail server automatically deletes e-mail once it is pushed, it is up to the client to tell the server to delete the mail. Check and make sure Entourage isn't set to delete e-mail when it is downloaded, that sounds like what it is doing. If that's not it, check with your e-mail service, ISP or your server settings on the server itself.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked and made sure that Entourage left messages on the server. Seems that must have been what the problem was?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I just checked and made sure that Entourage left messages on the server. Seems that must have been what the problem was?

Cheers!

Probably. Most clients give you the option. The problem with setting it that way is that all of your e-mail will now pile up on the server until you delete it. You can probably set Entourage to clear the server when you delete or file the message locally.

I have mine set where my computer is the master and all messages are removed from the server(s) when the computer pulls them down. The key is to leave my e-mail closed while I am away from my machine so I get them on the phone first. Not hard to do, I just have to remember to close Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
This is why I use IMAP email so I don't have to worry about any of this junk happening. I check email from at least 3 different places and have the need to organize some of my email into folders.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See it kinda defeats the purpose of having email on my phone then.

I do understand what you are saying, but just being able to get email on the go and have it as a glance and not have to wait till I get home is a big help!

Its just annoying when I get home and find the email has been removed from the server before I get a chance to download it on Entourage.

I have set Entourage to delete mail after 7 days.

Seems to be working fine for now!

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I don't really see how it defeats the purpose at all. I have all my email on my phone that I can get to anytime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I use my iPhone with Exchange on my own hosted server with Push, and I have my Gmail account and an IMAP account setup using Pull, all work as advertised.

Occasionally when an email is pushed to my phone from Exchange, it seems that it triggers the other two accounts to check for messages (which is fine).

You shouldn't have to delete messages from the server, which in my case I use Outlook for Exchange on a PC in my shop, and Exchange on Mac Mail with my iMac. I have over 500 messages in my Inbox, my iPhone is merely set to sync the last 3 days. When checking email it only takes a few seconds and disconnects.

Are you using firmware 2.2?

and you mention
I have two mail accounts that sync to my iphone from Entourage

Are you having to plug in with the USB cable to your Mac to sync email from Entourage (like the olden days with PDA devices where you had to sync it with an email client on the PC) or is your iPhone actually syncing over the air?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.