Need Help with eMac 700mhz new OS installation

Reaction score
I am preparing to replace the original 40gb HD with a 250gb HD. I am unfamiliar with the process of doing a new Install of OS X Tiger. Do I just insert the install DVD onto the machine, and let install DVD guide me through the install, including formatting the new drive? Or is it more complicated than this? Will f12 still work to eject the optical drive without any OS present?. I want to get this done within the next couple of days or so, as I am starting college, and will be needing it for schoolwork. I know I could probably clone my current install, but I just would prefer to do a brand new install on an unformatted drive. Any help with procedures on how to do this would be greatly appreciated....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Insert your Tiger install disk and boot the machine with it. After it boots, select Disk Utility from the top menu. Highlight the new drive and prepare it as one partition formatted to HFS+. Be sure to name the drive Macintosh HD. After that, continue with the install of the Tiger OS and included software. And yes, the disk can be ejected.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Complete success

I was able to successfully install operating system on new hard drive. However, I had to install from external dvd player, by hitting command option shift delete. f12 would not work for me without os. during installation I realized that I could pull apple cover down, and manually eject the drive through the pin hole. oh well. partitioned and formatted drive just like you said. Thanks again fro your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.