Charging 2nd G iPod Touch

Reaction score
When docking my iPod on my 1st G Bose Sounddock I receive the message that charging is not supported. This is probably due to the 5v vs 12v charging update with the new iPods. My question is can docking it in the Bose damage the iPod. I can live without it charging but I would still like to be able to play the music (which it does just fine).

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Bose dock likely uses the Firewire charging pin, which was disabled in the latest iteration of iPods (including the Touch). No, it won't damage anything - the pin is completely dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The Bose dock likely uses the Firewire charging pin, which was disabled in the latest iteration of iPods (including the Touch). No, it won't damage anything - the pin is completely dead.
A very annoying irritation that. Thanks for rendering all 3rd party, and older 1st party accessories obsolete.. for no reason

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A very annoying irritation that. Thanks for rendering all 3rd party, and older 1st party accessories obsolete.. for no reason

Scosche just released an adapter that routes the firewire charging pin to the USB charging pin, thereby fixing a lot of these older devices. It runs around $30 (amazingly expensive, since it's such a low-tech fix). I'm hoping this will make my iPod Touch work with my 1.5 year old DICE iPod integration in my car, but I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

passPORT at Scosche.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
ahhh revenue enhancement ;) I should try the factory integration in my car..

Reaction score
How did you get it working???

You are reporting a charging question - but my 1st gen Sounddock and Touch 2nd gen won't play - did you do anything special to get it to play??

OP
R
Reaction score
You are reporting a charging question - but my 1st gen Sounddock and Touch 2nd gen won't play - did you do anything special to get it to play??

No, I just plugged it in. And it didn't seem to harm the device either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.