IP Config Error

Reaction score
I seem to randomly get an IP Config error on my iMac that says the IP is in use by a DHCP server.

I think this started happening after I installed the application "Remote" on my iPod Touch. It doesn't happen very often and doesn't seem to have any adverse effects but I would like to make it go away (hopefuly without having to delete the app since I like to control iTunes from another room).

Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using a router, airport express, extreme?

Post back and we can go from there.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Access the Netgear router main menu (check documentation to learn how) and bring up the LAN\WAN sub menu. Make sure it's setup for DHCP and check the address range. Check the DNS settings and make sure they're the correct addresses as given by your ISP.

It's possible the address range the Netgear is set for is incorrect and it's providing an incorrect IP address to your computer. If necessary, call your ISP and check the settings with them. You may have to reset the router by pressing the reset pin hole on the back of the Netgear.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have had my NetGear and my iMac connected for almost two years without ever getting this error. Are you saying that it's possible it had incorrect settings all this time and never showed up until I launched the application "Remote" on my iPod?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, probably not. But it's possible that those settings were somehow changed, that's why they need to be checked first. It is possible the remote app that controls your iPod has changed something.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.