Terminal commands

Reaction score
Where can I find a list of the terminal commands (and how to use them) that can be used in the terminal ap on OSX?

eggman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
List of terminal commands here.

How to use the terminal here.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks. I see i was using the right commands but they don't work for me. I'm trying to use the cat command to join several files on my external drive into one file. But cd Partitionname/dirname just gives me the error not a directory or file, and cat partition/dir/filename partition/dir/filename2 > outout file gives the same error. SO how do I do it do I have to move all the files to my startup drive and then move them back when I'm done?
I have been treating the partion name dir name and files names as case sensitive. Are they?

eggman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are setting in the directory/folder, then you don't need the partition/dir. All you need is the cat filename1 filename2 > outfile.

OP
E
Reaction score
That's just it. If I enter cd dirname of dir on external drive i get the error not a dir or file
if I enter cd partitionname/dirname to get there I get the same error. not a dir or file.

And I have been reading the how to and the list of commands thanks.

eggman

Reaction score
It's cd /Volumes/partitionname/dirname
That should get you there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
to verify the path to that drive use the mount command with no switches.

Reaction score
In the terminal, type cd<space> then drag the folder of interest to the terminal window. That will correctly put the path name in for you. Press return to go to the directory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.