g4 firmware password problems & more! :(

Reaction score
So, I bought a iMac usb 2.0 the other day (with leopard installed) for $200 bucks at a local computer store. I got it and was about to attempt to install ubuntu on it using my external hard drive. I went into the one startup utility and wondered what network startup was, i clicked it, restarted and now i'm in a pickle!

I can't get around network startup at all and apparently there is a firmware password that I had no clue was on the computer. Reading up about it (and trying it myself) I am pretty much rendered useless.

Things I have tried:
1. Clearing pram w/ Command-Option-P-R(didn't chime)
2. Resetting startup disk by pressing X(nothing happened)
3. Letting it sit on the network startup page hoping it would move passed it(nothing happened)
4. Changing out ram and pressing the pmu button hoping it would zap pram(No go)
5. Using the Option button to go into the startup disk selector(need the firmware password)

and I don't have a leopard disk but the cd tray won't open with holding down the mouse button either.

any suggestions on what i should try next? I'm new to mac and stumped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it back and demand the Leopard disk. The machine should not have been sold with the OS installed without the discs. Otherwise you are going to have to buy your own Leopard disc which is essential for maintenance problems and clean installs, which you may well be up for.

OP
W
Reaction score
Take it back and demand the Leopard disk. The machine should not have been sold with the OS installed without the discs. Otherwise you are going to have to buy your own Leopard disc which is essential for maintenance problems and clean installs, which you may well be up for.

I was going to do this today but the tray isn't opening. is there a way to manually open the cd drive? I know with most there is a hole to put a pin in to eject the cd but i can't find one on the imac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.