AppleJack Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

While looking at different OS maintenance utilities, I found AppleJack and according to what I read, it seems that this utility is used by quite a number of Mac savvy users being that it works at the Single User Mode level.

Instead of using Onyx and similar utilities, I feel like giving this a try but would like to get some feedback from AppleJack users, especially at the cache cleaning level.

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
I use it with no problems, works fine. Don't think there is anything in it that could screw up your system.
However, I don't recommend it for people who are not at least a little Terminal savvy.
If you don't know what you're doing you can really screw things up in single user mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use it also with no problems. Personally prefer to boot into root, and when loaded type in 'applejack auto restart' without the inverted commas, and Applejack does its thing and automatically reboots when all is finished.

Also Onyx is capable of doing its share of screwing up. See this link:-

Has Onyx done strange things to my OS X? - Mac - Apple

Have found the best maintenance for new users is a little program called Macaroni which runs all those scripts automatically, repairs permissions, removing localized files etc.

It is a little under $10 and can be trialled for 35 days f.o.c. and is available here. Just install, set and forget:-

Macaroni | atomicbird

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.