dpi...does size matter

Reaction score
I've just scanned some of my best 35mm slides using a scanner costing £27,000. It cost me £35 for an hours use at a pro camera place in London. I wanted the images to be at their best as I want to do some big enlargements, up to 36"x24".
My question is, will a dpi of over 300 make for a much better image, or am I wasting my time? The file sizes of these images I did with the expensive scanner are like 6000dpi, which have given me a "tif" file size of around 70mb for each image. I've made jpg copies but they are still very large file sizes. Bottom line is would 300dpi be just as good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its all down to the quality of those original 35mm slides and the film grain on them. So you are never going to get hi detail shots from 35mm, no matter what resolution you scan them at

They were scanned at 6000 dpi and original size so if you down res them to 300 you will only be able to print them at 35mm size.

As for the file size, I bet the film grain is making them difficult to compress, even as Jpeg. If you have Photoshop try using the median filter set at 1 or 2. It will get rid of any grain and make them easier to compress

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Hi thanks for giving me some advice. I'm new to the forum and finding it very helpfull. The film I used was very good quality, Kodachrome 25. In the past I've had enlargements made upto 36"x24" and pin sharpe, but done at a pro lab. I'm just getting into digital photography as sold all my old 35mm stuff. I've been using Photoshop for years so will give your advice a go. Must admit I have a framed photo at home on the wall A3 size I took with a 5mpx mobile phone that's very good, pin sharpe. Like you say it all depends on the original neg, pos, digi image. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If the quality is pretty good then don't downres them, I was thinking of standard 35mm slides which are often quite poor.

The median filter will get rid of some grain, but experiment with it to make sure it isn't taking too much detail out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.