connecting MBP to Sony Trinitron

Reaction score
I have an older Sony Trinitron that has a VIDEO 2 input that we have been able to connect and use the WII and PS2 on. I have the Mini display port to VGA adapter, the VGA to Video composite adapter and have the MBP mirroring to the tv but the best I get at 800X600 res is a dup copy of the screen doubled, like you have to adjust the vertical hold or something (for those of you who understand that term you are as old as me ;)...anyway, there of course isnt a vertical or horizontal hold on the sony, i went thru all the menu settings and tried to find something like it to no avail

any help would be greatly appreciated, IM AT MY WITS END!!!!! I have movies that I would like to watch on the tv rather than the small(not really but not as big as 36") monitor.

Thanks alot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you own an older Trinitron TV, the best you're going to get out of it is its native resolution for whatever that's worth. :( Unfortunately, most older CRT type monitors and TVs don't display much above 800 x 600 at best.

As for poor vertical sync, (doubling) that's a product of an incompatible refresh signal. LCDs require 60 Hz for normal operation, but a CRT may require a refresh as high as 85 Hz (which by the way is typical for a Trinitron).

Best I can suggest is keep trying other resolutions and see if you can vary the refresh rate a bit higher. You might also try going direct in to the VGA port on the TV.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hi disler,

I have a sony trinitron and the new macbook, I got the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter and connected it with the VGA to Video composite adapter and connected it to the TV.. I went to the Cable Box and checked for the display..
There was no display.. Am I missing something here.. Please can you give a step by step method as of how I can get my macbook to display in big screen..
Thanks...

Reaction score
I am posting this specifically to chscag & imashwin,

They seem to be very knowledgable about this type of Q & A.

I own a older model Sony Trinitron. I have the details on it here:
Model # Kv-20FS100; Manufacture Date is May of 2002 year.

I have a new Apple MacBook Pro 15.4 and I believe I purchased all of the neccessary cabling to be able to generate output for Audio & Video on my Sony Trinitron TV set.

I have the mini display port to DVI, the composite audio cables as well.

Please advise me the best way to get correct video & audio from the Apple MBP and project it dual screen to the Sony Trinitron TV set.

Do I need to purchase another TV set which is newer?

Can I use the HDMI ports that are available on my newer Sony DVD player or the HDMI port that is also available on my Lite On DVD recorder.

Thank you very much,

Richard Chang

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take note of my previous reply regarding the question about using the Sony Trinitron as an external monitor.

Your Sony is 7 years old and more than likely does not have the correct inputs for DVI nor is it going to be able to display any better than a typical older CRT monitor. As noted above the resolution is probably going to be 800 x 600 and you're going to need a high refresh rate.

My advice: Buy a nice inexpensive LCD monitor to use instead. Lots to choose from and even the least expensive is going to display better than the Sony.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
rchang

That Sony (for sure) does not have a DVI input.

To even attempt to connect your MBP (and can only "assume" you are correct, this is a new MBP with mini-display port), it will require the adapters/cabling used by the original poster (OP).

e.g. A mini-displayport to VGA adapter, then a VGA to video adapter, then a composite cable. Of all the posts I have read, across multiple forums, from those trying to get this to work, there has been to my estimation, well over a 50% failure rate, maybe as high as 70%. This is for the video portion only.

You can't use a DVI to VGA cable with the mini-displayport to DVI adapter you already have. This adapter only puts out a digital signal through DVI, so there is no analog available to go to VGA.

As for connecting it to one of the other two devices, can't really answer with certainty (only because I have not seen 'every' model and you've not told us which models you have), but I'd wager that the HDMI port on both of those devices is for video out, not for video in.

I have to agree with chscag - it's time for a new TV.

However, purchasing a new HDTV today is not as simple a task as TV purchases in the past due to a number of factors, not the least of which is the number of devices we all want to connect to them. For connecting your MBP, I'd recommend looking for a HDTV with one of the following:
1) a DVI port (few and far between any more),
2) what the TV manufacturers are calling a HDMI/DVI port - this is typically only one of the HDMI ports - this single port will have separate audio inputs that it can use,
3) VGA port - you have to research the individual TV before purchase if you plan to use this port - many TV's only added this as an afterthought and will only accept a few resolutions lower than the resolution of the TV resulting in a lousy picture, or
4) HDMI port - with this one, you will not have sound on the TV from your computer. You'll need to connect the audio to a separate surround sound / hi-fi receiver.

All of them will require separate audio input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2009, 15.4" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3,
Need Help!!!

I have an older Sony Trinitron XBR TV that has the video 7 input for DVI. I also have a mid 2009 15.4" MacBook Pro and the mini display port to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to DVI cable. All the connections are solid and I am on the right channel but still get nothing. Anything that I have missed?

Reaction score
Apple Macbook Pro (DVI) to older CRT Sony Trinitron TV - How to.

I hook my Macbook Pro up to my older Sony CRT without any issues at all.

I use an Apple DVI to Video Adapter (SKU: 216174). I ran a RCA Male composite video cable to the input on the back of the TV from my Macbook via the DVI to Video Adaptor.

For Audio I ran a Minijack to Dual RCA from my Macbook to my Amplifier Auxillary input. (Sometimes called a Y adapter.)

The Macbook Pro automatically detects resolution no issues at all. You set up the display arrangement in System preferences.

Personally it was an easy set up ~ you just need the right connectors and they are cheap. Usually on eBay for very little as they are becoming outdated :) This isn't a difficult exercise so don't be shy.

The older Sony Trinitron I have has wonderful colors, much better than many LCDs on the market. I like using older gear and enjoy not being on the upgrade treadmill :)

If you have a Mini Display port you may need an additional adapter such as the
Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter then go to the Apple DVI to Video Adapter.
But I am sure there are custom solutions for each different type of Mac. See below.

There is an Apple Apple MB202G/A Micro-DVI Male to S-Video / Composite Video Adapter. Part Number 0885909183548 for Macbook Air.

I found a Mini DVI to Composite RCA S-Video Adapter. SKU: 192-445-001. (there's one on eBay for the next 22 hrs Item number: 221035385161)

Just make sure you get the right adapter to fit your mac.

So don't listen to the naysayers, hook your Mac up to your old TV :) It's fun!

Reaction score
System preferences - Displays - Detect Displays?

I have an older Sony Trinitron XBR TV that has the video 7 input for DVI. I also have a mid 2009 15.4" MacBook Pro and the mini display port to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to DVI cable. All the connections are solid and I am on the right channel but still get nothing. Anything that I have missed?

System preferences - Displays - Detect Displays?

Reaction score
rchang

That Sony (for sure) does not have a DVI input.

To even attempt to connect your MBP (and can only "assume" you are correct, this is a new MBP with mini-display port), it will require the adapters/cabling used by the original poster (OP).

e.g. A mini-displayport to VGA adapter, then a VGA to video adapter, then a composite cable. Of all the posts I have read, across multiple forums, from those trying to get this to work, there has been to my estimation, well over a 50% failure rate, maybe as high as 70%. This is for the video portion only.

You can't use a DVI to VGA cable with the mini-displayport to DVI adapter you already have. This adapter only puts out a digital signal through DVI, so there is no analog available to go to VGA.

As for connecting it to one of the other two devices, can't really answer with certainty (only because I have not seen 'every' model and you've not told us which models you have), but I'd wager that the HDMI port on both of those devices is for video out, not for video in.

I have to agree with chscag - it's time for a new TV.

However, purchasing a new HDTV today is not as simple a task as TV purchases in the past due to a number of factors, not the least of which is the number of devices we all want to connect to them. For connecting your MBP, I'd recommend looking for a HDTV with one of the following:
1) a DVI port (few and far between any more),
2) what the TV manufacturers are calling a HDMI/DVI port - this is typically only one of the HDMI ports - this single port will have separate audio inputs that it can use,
3) VGA port - you have to research the individual TV before purchase if you plan to use this port - many TV's only added this as an afterthought and will only accept a few resolutions lower than the resolution of the TV resulting in a lousy picture, or
4) HDMI port - with this one, you will not have sound on the TV from your computer. You'll need to connect the audio to a separate surround sound / hi-fi receiver.

All of them will require separate audio input.

Just get the right adaptor and go for it. Separate audio is no biggie.

Reaction score

And 4 years later this is e exact thing I have going on. The thing is - I connected it and it worked fabulously for 18 months. Then I moved - same tv, same imac, same cables, and I haven't been able to reconnect it successfully. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Process of elimination

Work backwards. Did you update your OS? If yes then perhaps there is an issue?

Try different cables and adaptors.

Re-boot while connected to your Sony.

Maybe the DVI on the Sony is toast?

And 4 years later this is e exact thing I have going on. The thing is - I connected it and it worked fabulously for 18 months. Then I moved - same tv, same imac, same cables, and I haven't been able to reconnect it successfully. Any ideas?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A couple of possibilities occur to me. Here are the things that I would check out in this situation:

1. Does the TV still work when plugged into something other than a computer. Even if it was working before the move it is possible that something is no longer working properly.

2. Check the cables and adapters to make sure they are working properly. Use as few cable/adapter changes as possible. As with the TV just because they were working and good does not mean they are now.

As much as possible use "known good" equipment (dead certain it's working) to test other gear thought to be good. When testing cables fpr example use a TV/monitor known to be good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.