Can You Now Build Your Own Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRV

Reaction score
Now that Apple is using the Intel processors can you build your own Mac? Is there anything stopping me from buying OSX and loading it onto a PC? I have a really nice Dell but I'd love to be able to put OSX on it instead.

Reaction score
Legally you cant, its in Apple's EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Now that Apple is using the Intel processors can you build your own Mac? Is there anything stopping me from buying OSX and loading it onto a PC? I have a really nice Dell but I'd love to be able to put OSX on it instead.

NO. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is against the EULA to install OS X on a machine that is not an Apple.

Even so, you would not be able to install it on your Dell. The hackintosh crowd has pretty specific hardware requirements for the hacks they've made of OS X to enable them to install it on their PC's. Half the hardware in your Dell would not function, inclg the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Even so, you would not be able to install it on your Dell. The hackintosh crowd has pretty specific hardware requirements for the hacks they've made of OS X to enable them to install it on their PC's. Half the hardware in your Dell would not function, inclg the motherboard.

Who told you that? Its complete rubbish.

Its possible to get OSX running on almost anything with an Intel Processor, including Netbooks, Dells, whatever.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have already done the research and the testing... And it is a royal pita and not worth the effort except for the geekiest of the geeks.

Beside which, it is still against the EULA you agree to when installing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
As zongamin states, it would be possible to install OS X on to your Dell however it wouldn't be legal - even if you bought a copy of OS X for it.

If Apple were willing to sell it to the PC market they would probably see their market share rise very quickly, just look how cheap Leopard is compared to Vista and it is a lot better!

At the same time though, the amount of work to get it working on various hardware configurations would be silly. So I feel they are right to keep it to Mac's only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
Have already done the research and the testing... And it is a royal pita and not worth the effort except for the geekiest of the geeks.

Beside which, it is still against the EULA you agree to when installing it.

Its really not that hard - I had tiger running on an old Dell Inspiron with out any trouble - easier than installing Windows to be honest! I would say on standard hardware you would be up and running in 3 or 4 hours.

Also its almost certain that the EULA is not legally binding. The problem is that you can only get the required files illegally, although some people suggest that if you buy a copy of Leopard as well you might be covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Its really not that hard - I had tiger running on an old Dell Inspiron with out any trouble - easier than installing Windows to be honest! I would say on standard hardware you would be up and running in 3 or 4 hours.

Also its almost certain that the EULA is not legally binding. The problem is that you can only get the required files illegally, although some people suggest that if you buy a copy of Leopard as well you might be covered.

Look, we can't talk about that here... it's illegal.

Kthanksbye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Chill. Apple aren't going to come around your house with a baseball bat.

It is possible to put OS X on, but it's a lot of messing about. The fact you posted the question in the first place says that I don't think it's going to be for you. Buy a Mac - you get something much nicer than just the OS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Folks, we don't permit discussion of illegal activity on this forum. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.