Mstand need advice... not sure if its worth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 150GB HD
Hi All,
I'm in need of making my desk into a proper workstation, I feel the best way to start doing that is to get a laptop stand for my MBP because just looking down at it makes me feel hunched over since it's not at eye-level.

I wanted anyone's advice if they had used this stand and had good or bad experiences with it, my friend bought the iMac version stand by Rain Design and he was very happy with it to hide his keyboard. But it doesn't do much else besides have extra usb ports.

mStand - features

Does anyone know if the version they are selling has a cut out so you can still use the remote with it? The only reason I would like it better than other laptop stands is that it seems tall enough that I could put another keyboard under it to save space while working, and it does happen to match my computer :)

Anything good or bad about the stand I'd love to know, $50 seems kind of expensive for a stand but if it's worth it I'd get it.

Thanks.
Courtney

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have one and I love it, but there is no cut-out for the remote sensor.

OP
Jeepster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you miss that you can't use the remote?? Or that's not a big deal for you?

I have one and I love it, but there is no cut-out for the remote sensor.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you miss that you can't use the remote?? Or that's not a big deal for you?

I very rarely use the remote - only if I have the MacBook Pro attached to the TV - and then it's not at my desk.

OP
Jeepster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok cool thanks, maybe I could modify it, drill a hole or something, since that will be its permanent home and I do often use the remote currently.

I very rarely use the remote - only if I have the MacBook Pro attached to the TV - and then it's not at my desk.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok cool thanks, maybe I could modify it, drill a hole or something, since that will be its permanent home and I do often use the remote currently.

You know what - I'm not in front of it at the moment (the stand is at work), but now that I think about it, it doesn't cover the remote sensor. It's directly next to the lip, exposed.

OP
Jeepster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok well maybe you could check on Monday or whenever you get back to work and let me know. That would be very awesome if it didn't cover it because then I would totally buy it right now. :) Thanks.

You know what - I'm not in front of it at the moment (the stand is at work), but now that I think about it, it doesn't cover the remote sensor. It's directly next to the lip, exposed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok well maybe you could check on Monday or whenever you get back to work and let me know. That would be very awesome if it didn't cover it because then I would totally buy it right now. :) Thanks.

The IR receiver is definitely exposed. The lip sits just to the right of where the receiver is.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic:

2009-01-12_0856.png

OP
Jeepster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries that's exactly what I was hoping to hear, that the photo was even better than I was expecting! :) You've totally confirmed that I'm going to buy one, it doesn't even look bad either ;-) Sounds like a great stand thanks a TON :-D

The IR receiver is definitely exposed. The lip sits just to the right of where the receiver is.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic:

2009-01-12_0856.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.