The Mac OS X experience .... after 6 months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Let me start by saying that life is great after 6 months.

When I switched in April 2008, the objective was to completely replace my previous windows desktop experience and become mobile .... hence the MBP

Not knowing what I was getting into by choosing Mac OS X, I approached it with an open mind, and prepared myself for a steep learning curve.
The learning period was fun and I was surprised that OS X is not that difficult to understand if you are open to change.
Don't get me wrong .... I am still learning
One reason for that is that I do not download any apps. unless the Operating System has no alternative or I can increase my functionality.
Happy to say that the OS, by default, provides me with all the functionality I need and it is all intuitive.
Only things I installed are flip4mac, perian, Onyx, iWorks08 and SuperDuper!

Time Machine played some tricks on me 2 months ago, and that was caused by me not having enough patience when TM said it was " preparing " for more than an hour ;D

I posted something a month ago on " moving from CP/M v1.2 to OS X 10.5.6 in less than 30 years. " and I was wondering why it took so long;D .
OS X fits me nicely.... as long as I can use a graphical interface and I am not forced to start doing ' sudo xyz ' things, because that water is much to deep for me.

I have started to use the MBP for professional work as well ( which the IT department at work did not like at all ) and maybe I am lucky, but I have yet to see the first appearance of the spinning beach ball, all updates went without a glitch, not a single apl. crashed.
My MagSafe adapter blew up on me and was replaced by Apple with no questions asked.

So you are looking at the avatar of a happy switcher.

There is however one thing I regret .... I went for the 17" which is rather heavy when on the road, maybe I should have bought the 15". ( But that is unrelated to OS X )

Would like to say a final thing on being a member of Mac-Forums ... i learned a lot over here and there are some very nice people who helped me move forward. Thanks.

Cheers
McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good news, dont stop asking questions though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
The Mac OS X experience .... after 6 days*

As the title above states, it's been about a week now for me, and although I won't claim my life has improved because of switching to a Mac, I am enjoying myself. With that said, it appears my needs are being met. And that's all I asked for. I've discovered a few querks along the way, nothing I can't adjust to, however I haven't had any negative issues. I was somewhat concerned with transferring my files over to this new machine but that too worked out well for me. For the record, I purchased The Missing Manual for Leopard and found the book to be a good read for me.

But if I had to pick one thing I like best about this new OS, it would be the digital applications in iLife. Especially iTunes & iPhoto (along with Apeture 2). I see why Apple boasts about these applications. Of course I would be remiss if I failed to mention these new MacBook Pro's are really nice to look at too.

In closing, I hope if I run into snags along the way, I will be able to find answers here on this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
it's been almost 6 months for me. mac, while different, was very intuitive, and sometimes i found doing certain things in os x almost too easy, as i was expecting a few more steps to be involved, such as installing applications. i also purchased the missing manual for leopard, and find it an amazing resource, full of tips and information. this forum, however, is where i picked up most of the information i needed when i first purchased my iMac.
this forum is great, and so is my iMac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We all faced similar problems ditching Classic, OS 9.2.2, and installing OS X, whatever version we started with. There were all sorts of rumours, and problems. The most disconcerting at the time was this updating the Firmware thingo which had to be download from Apple and installed under OS 9.

Many went ahead without the update and there were all sorts of stories circulating about fried logic boards, burnt out computers and even Macs catching fire because the upgrade had not been carried out.

Many of us, myself included, avoided OS X for these reasons, and this new system even scared us a little. After installing Jaguar OS X.2 on its release, realised what a great OS it was and abandoned Classic altogether.

Same as switchers, it takes a l;ittle time to get used to the difference, but just hang in there and remember Macs are pretty hard to kjill!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.