Dropped My Powerbook And Bent It!

Reaction score
Omg I'm so stupid. My powerbook 12" was on the bed I picked it up my hand was a tad sweaty and it slid out of my grip and landed like 1 foot on the floor on the back corner. Now where the CD drive is its all bent out and the fan port at the back. I tried to push it in but its still really bent out. I've only had it about a month can I get this repaired or what should I do? Anyone have any suggestions before I try to bend it all back and make it worse? :( Thanks :(:((

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
can u post a photo of it for us to evaluate the seriousness of the case?

I

IChing

Sorry to hear that hate to have that happen to anyone, get it repaired professionally. Maybe renter's or homeowner's insurance?

M

menace3054

slap it on ebay, people will buy anything on ebay... sure youll probably take a 300 or so dollar loss, but thats probably how much it would cost to fix it.. then buy a new one

J

jbsengineer

leemoreau said:
Omg I'm so stupid. My powerbook 12" was on the bed I picked it up my hand was a tad sweaty and it slid out of my grip and landed like 1 foot on the floor on the back corner. Now where the CD drive is its all bent out and the fan port at the back. I tried to push it in but its still really bent out. I've only had it about a month can I get this repaired or what should I do? Anyone have any suggestions before I try to bend it all back and make it worse? :( Thanks :(:((

i saw the bottom part of the powerbook case on ebay yesterday. it was a 12" one too. oh..just found it. better hurry. 1 day left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14909&item=5747964809&rd=1

can't be to hard to install. there is an online guide at www.pbfixit.com

josh

J

jbsengineer

Cloudane said:
Famous last words if I ever heard em :D

Make sure you earth yourself to discharge static, and good luck.

to late to retract my previous statement??? i was being ignorant. i was thinking the powerbook was more like the design of the iBook. whoops...

i wondor how much a tech would charge to swap it out?

Josh

C

Cloudane

I don't know how similar it is to the iBook TBH. All I know is I'd be very afraid of taking such an expensive piece of machinery apart :) I tried it with an IBM Thinkpad once, it never worked again...

B

bill7624

walked in your shoes

I posted the earlier thread on a dropped powerbook. I went to www.pbfixit.com where they have graciously posted instructions on taking apart the notebook. The instructions that I followed were clear. I only had to remove the upper case to fix a dent in the lower left corner. Pulling of the top case is nerve wracking because you have to apply gentle but rather firm pressure to release it while not ripping it all the way off. My previous experience did include swapping out a hardrive on a clamshell. I wrapped some foam medical tape around the jaws of a pair of needle nose pliers to bend out the aluminum without marring its surface. Also note the order of replacing the screws as emphasized in the instructions. I did not require a #8 torx only the #6. Good Luck.

OP
E
Reaction score
Fixed it

Phew everything is okay I fixed it. It hit the back corner of it so it bent out on either side of the corner, the back vent and the CD drive were bent out. I just put a cloth over it and used my TV remote to force it back into place, it's just aluminum it bends in without any effort, can't even tell there was ever a problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
At least your problem is better than mine. Since mine slid off of the couch face down. About a foot and a half above the floor. It landed flat face down. Everything appeared okay until I closed the lid. That is when I found that the left side hinge on my Ti PowerBook was broken. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.