Which MacBook to Go With?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5
I'm replacing my MacBook Pro after somewhat grisly drops, spills, etc. I decided to go with the MacBook series this time around. But, I'm torn between going with a previous generation model and the new generation.

I was always interested in the most recent Black 2.4 version. These can be found for a bit of a discount, now, with the new models released. On the flip side, the new models have features not found on the 2.4 Black (trackpad capabilities, "greener" construction, faster bus speeds, back-lit keys, more RAM available to the graphics, etc.).

So, I find myself really torn. I really like the look of the Black, and don't have a need for the newer features, but I could certainly make use of the newer capabilities as well.

Primary uses. Some use for work/school (spreadsheets, word processing, flow charting, etc.), internet browsing, email, chatting, digital media (music, pics, and a few small vids) and a bit of gaming (SimCity, Tiger Woods Golf), also will have at least a couple of virtual machines (probably a couple Linux and one Windows).

I know that this may come down to personal preference, but am interested in anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Personally the graphics card in the new MacBooks swings it for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I'm replacing my MacBook Pro after somewhat grisly drops, spills, etc. I decided to go with the MacBook series this time around. But, I'm torn between going with a previous generation model and the new generation.

I was always interested in the most recent Black 2.4 version. These can be found for a bit of a discount, now, with the new models released. On the flip side, the new models have features not found on the 2.4 Black (trackpad capabilities, "greener" construction, faster bus speeds, back-lit keys, more RAM available to the graphics, etc.).

So, I find myself really torn. I really like the look of the Black, and don't have a need for the newer features, but I could certainly make use of the newer capabilities as well.

Primary uses. Some use for work/school (spreadsheets, word processing, flow charting, etc.), internet browsing, email, chatting, digital media (music, pics, and a few small vids) and a bit of gaming (SimCity, Tiger Woods Golf), also will have at least a couple of virtual machines (probably a couple Linux and one Windows).

I know that this may come down to personal preference, but am interested in anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

you sound really indecisive you need to figure out what you want, need and what is in your budget to get, b4 you ask us a question. we can only give you insight on what you already are looking for but you seem to know everything on the stats and stuff on the notebooks.. but personally i would pick the newer version MB

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally the graphics card in the new MacBooks swings it for me

Honestly, that is one of the primary reasons for my problem with the decision. It's primarily graphics capabilities versus my preference for the "black" version and the lower cost of the "black" version.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you sound really indecisive you need to figure out what you want, need and what is in your budget to get, b4 you ask us a question. we can only give you insight on what you already are looking for but you seem to know everything on the stats and stuff on the notebooks.. but personally i would pick the newer version MB

Sound indecisive? Really? Just laid out a few tidbits and sought thoughts/opinions.

Cost isn't an issue, but I do look for savings if they are available, paired with what capabilities I will/might use (thus my going away from MBPs - won't "need" everything it has). This leads directly to the "old" versus "new" question.

Thanks for your input, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
I too "loved" the look of the black macbook's but when I was researching I found out a new release was nearby.

I'm so glad i waited for the aluminum macbook's. they are so much nicer than the black one in every category. Lighter, sleeker, better look/feel, faster speed, better graphics, faster ram, trackpad, etc.

i will never be able to use a non trackpad again. my fiance has a vaio and every time i use it i find myself using the finger gestures because they are so very useful. you sound like a tech savvy individual and i assure you that you will be very happy with the aluminum macbook.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too "loved" the look of the black macbook's but when I was researching I found out a new release was nearby.

I'm so glad i waited for the aluminum macbook's. they are so much nicer than the black one in every category. Lighter, sleeker, better look/feel, faster speed, better graphics, faster ram, trackpad, etc.

i will never be able to use a non trackpad again. my fiance has a vaio and every time i use it i find myself using the finger gestures because they are so very useful. you sound like a tech savvy individual and i assure you that you will be very happy with the aluminum macbook.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm going to hit-up one of the local Apple stores tomorrow and mess around with the new models - play a bit, you know, and figure out the extent to which I would/could take advantage of the the newer features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
I've gotten so used to the trackpad on my 2.4GHZ aluminum MB, and I LOVE IT! It takes slight adjusting, but it's amazing. I didn't think I'd ever use any of the fancy features, but now they're just part of the normal routine. The RAM in the new MBs is faster, the new ones are thinner, they weigh less, and they have longer battery life. Go to an Apple store and notice when you lift the display on a white MacBook how it doesn't open evenly if you don't open it from the middle. The luxuries of the new MacBook make it 100% worth it! The trackpad, unibody aluminum enclosure, graphics card, backlight keyboard, and size defeat last generation's white/black MacBooks completely.

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
I've gotten so used to the trackpad on my 2.4GHZ aluminum MB, and I LOVE IT! It takes slight adjusting, but it's amazing. I didn't think I'd ever use any of the fancy features, but now they're just part of the normal routine. The RAM in the new MBs is faster, the new ones are thinner, they weigh less, and they have longer battery life. Go to an Apple store and notice when you lift the display on a white MacBook how it doesn't open evenly if you don't open it from the middle. The luxuries of the new MacBook make it 100% worth it! The trackpad, unibody aluminum enclosure, graphics card, backlight keyboard, and size defeat last generation's white/black MacBooks completely.

I personaly like the white ones.
I think that they are clean. simple and cool.
And don't worry about getting them dirty.
Buy the magic sponge and that makes it look like new!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Macbook, 13", 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 2GB RAM
I wanted the old white Macbook but was told to get the new one because it was 5x as fast as the old one (also partially of the reason that I study graphics).

I thought £200 extra to get the new one was worth it though, but you mentioned games and I just thought the new one would be better?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a white iBook and it can get dingy - 'course it's my daughter's, now, so such is life.

I actually decided to buy the new version and procured it this morning - typing on it right now, while I'm moving a lot of my data over. I would have loved to get the capabilities of the new models in the black form factor, but this one will work just fine for at least a couple of years, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
Good choice, tell me what you think after you use it for awhile.

dtx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum MB, 2.0, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd
the Multi-touch convinced me to spend the extra $. It's the only feature that a "light" user will make use of day to day. I am a Power User 10% of the time, but just browsing and listening to music etc on a day to day basis, so the extra specs wasn't enough to convince me to get the new MB. However once i'd used the multitouch track pad it was in love! the 4 finger swipes up\down for expose is incredible.
They are wayyyy sexier too! haha! Go with the new one, you won't regret it!

oops! you already made your choice! haha good decision!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem DTx, I appreciate your thoughts all the same. The trackpad gestures are pretty neat & handy - it's taking a bit of retraining to get myself to utilize them versus the "old" methods, though! ;D

Reaction score
I was in the Apple store the other day, otherwise known as heaven, playing on the new macbooks/pros and they are sooo nice

my mbp is around a year old and i want to upgrade so bad

get the new mp, looks so awesome and feels so awesome, is so awesome

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already done, Midnight! Went with the 2.4 MB (just don't need the "pro"). Have migrated most of what I want from my near-dying MBP (first generation with the intel) - it's actually great having the chance to really clean-up and not bring over a bunch of the garbage I had accumulated.

Reaction score
Black is more cool and unique....
n688066306_1695368_3694.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Completely agree - really wish the new MBs came with that option (Yes, I would have spent more on a "black" option, Mr. Jobs. Are you listening? Heck, offer some powder coating options.)

The newer version has already proven to be capable (and then some) for my needs/wants, though.

Reaction score
he do not want to have many choices..im not a fan unibody one..the black matt is my coolest baby..and have a nice skin to protect the surface

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.