iMac really broken, please help

Reaction score
heres what i did, can anyone please help me:-

tried to install windows using boot camp,

everything fine, windows finished and restarted,

blank screen "no bootable image, press any key" or something,

not responsive.

restated and help alt key, no bootable image shown.

Since then- put in OS X disk and looked in disk utility. doesent have mac partition but seems to have windows.

in disk utility, in the left hand coloum, shows - Hatachi and underneath disk0 (i thinks thats windows)

now- when restated with no cd in, a blank white screen appears, also have come across a folder with a "?" flashing icon.

can anyone help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
You wrote windows over the wrong partition, sorry OS X needs to be reloaded.

OP
J
Reaction score
yea i think i did, but when i try to install os x. it cant find any destination to install.
ive been told that if its a software issue my warranty wont be covered, 1. is this true? and 2. do you think this sounds like a software or hardware isssue?
-please say harware-

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It sounds like a software issue. You need to boot off the Install Disc 1, and run the Disk Utility, select the hard drive, and do an erase and reformat as HFS+.

After doing that, you should be able to reinstall OS X just fine.

Reaction score
Try holding down the option key while turning it on. Keep holding it down until you see the partition icons come up, you may see both partitions. If you do, just arrow over to your mac one and click it/enter. I had this same problem once, it seems to be a hiccup in bootcamp. Let me know if this works.

OP
J
Reaction score
hi, tried that but all i get is the screen that should show the mac HDD, but no image to boot. WEAK!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
hi, tried that but all i get is the screen that should show the mac HDD, but no image to boot. WEAK!!

Did you try what Stretch suggested? You should be able to boot directly from your install DVD 1. Follow what he said. You need to completely erase the HD and format it as HFS+. Afterward, install Leopard.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
it wont let me erase or do anything in disk utility, most things are grey. also it shows the hitachi label insted of mac, on the left hand side. when ive tried to install os x it cant find any destination it install to.

S

satrop

:eek:, Oh SNAP! This doesn't sound good! As "chscag" said

Did you try what Stretch suggested? You should be able to boot directly from your install DVD 1. Follow what he said. You need to completely erase the HD and format it as HFS+. Afterward, install Leopard.

I think you might have lost that drive and have to start from the top! Sorry about that! I hope you had a back up of everything, as I've done the same thing to. I think its Windows getting back at the better computer if you ask me ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.