New Macbook vs Old Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I will soon be buying my first Mac, and I can't decide between a new 2.0 ghz Macbook and an old 2.4 ghz Macbook Pro, which is only around $100 more. I will be use the computer mostly for general purposes as a college student, but I also do a lot of audio recording and production and plan to run Logic Express along with some pretty CPU-heavy plugins.

I would rather have a 13" screen, but having the larger screen isn't a big deal to me. I do like the design of the new Macbook. Having a firewire port might come in handy, but it's not essential, as my audio interface uses USB 2.0.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which should have better performance for recording music? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
the MBP has the stand alone graphics.. but you are only doing audio i dont see why the MB wouldnt be the best fit for you..

just my 2 pennies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
The new Macbook seems to have a lot of teething problems.
I would go for the Pro, that way you have the extra power should you ever need it.

It also has more expansion capabilities.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...It also has more expansion capabilities.

Such as?

I would go with the pro only because If you are anything like me, typing papers the night before...the backlit keyboard helps. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Firewire 400 & 800

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I would go with the pro as well

Reaction score
I couldn't buy an old something when the new something is out. New MB gets my vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
New. Insane to go old with your needs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another vote for the pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
I was in the same boat as you (cep I do Video and Audio). I was leaning more towards hardcore production for a good price.

I went with the Macbook Pro because I work outside sometimes (aka MATTE RULES GLASS DROOLS) heh. Plus I plan on selling off my USB interface in favor of a better equipped firewire interface.

I can't live with out Firewire, so I was bummed when they started cutting back on their ports (400 and 800 were a definite need for me)

The new macbooks are nice and all but the negatives outweighed the positives for me (glass, no firewire, unlighted keyboard, and not 15in, strange trackpad, new form not enough consumer testing on them yet)

My MBP was amazing out of the box, plus I dumped in 4 gigs of ram later on. I'd like a better gcard but my 256mb 8600m performs perfectly for me with no regrets.

The only thing I hate about my MBP is the superdrive on the front, but I'll live.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.