• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to make a video for Youtube

Reaction score
I am wanting to know how to make video which i can upload on to Youtube on the Apple iMac. I used to use Windows Movie Maker on my laptop with Vista, but now I can't figure out how to do it on the iMac.

I want to add a picture then a music song running over that.

Edit: To make it easier, this is what I want to accomplish:

In Windows Movie Maker, you could add a picture, then you could add a song over that. Then the picture will show for the same duration of the song. Then you can publish this movie and it would save to your computer.

Well this is what I would like to do now, but I am struggling how to do it, so if anyone could help me, I would be so grateful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
You can make your movie in iMovie, and use the Export option to export it to a Youtube compatible format.

OP
Danaldinho
Reaction score
Thanks, but how would I do what I wanted to do (see in my main post) in iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply add the music you want to use, then add the photo you want to use and drag it the full length of the audio.

OP
Danaldinho
Reaction score
How do you add the music, it is really confusing to me

When I click on file, I only see the options to import camera, import video and import HD project

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sitting in front of my MBP right now, so I'm kinda doing off the top of my head...

On the left hand side, there should be an option to add music or photos from iTunes and iPhoto.

OP
Danaldinho
Reaction score
Ok, I have added the music file I want into iMovie, but I don't know if I have done it correct.

I don't know how to add a photo now and how to make the photo last as long as the music file if you understand me

PS: I have uploaded a screenie and your birthday is exactly the same date as mine :D ;D

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your photo has to be in iPhoto for it to work straight from that. Once you have the Music file added, it should show a thumbnail view of it, and give you the approx run time of the file. You would basically just add the Photo to it, and expand it to fit the entire length of the song.

Again, it's like crazy hard for me to do it off the top of my head. Once I get home, i can show you better.

Also, that is cool about the dates, but this year sucks cause I turn the big 30.

OP
Danaldinho
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be 17 :D

Ok, I have added the photo I want to iPhoto, then dragged it across.

So now I have both (song and photo) dragged across, but I don't understand what to do next.

I have shown you another print screen of where I'm up to

Thanks for your help mate :)

Right, I have figured it out now, I can play the song with the photo in the background for 30 seconds, then it just fades out and stops, so I try changing the duration to 100 seconds, but then it just says maximum duration exceeded, so how do I change this, because I need it alot longer to make a song to upload to Youtube

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.