Anyone here got Linux on their systems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I was considering installing Linux on my PowerBook, just to get a feel of what Linux is like. What Distros are available to install? Any guide on the net for installation help? Any help from members here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I had looked into it, some company was selling powqermac g5s with yellowdog linux or redhat linux(your choice) installed on the g5. Id like to see what its like.

M

meltbanana314

These are all the Linux distros that can run on a Mac:

http://penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php

I use Ubuntu Linux on my Compaq laptop at the moment, and I'd avoid it like the plague and stick with OS X for normal desktop use - but for servers Linux rocks if you know what to do with it.

For learning Linux/UNIX, I'd get an old x86 desktop (Linux has notoriously poor laptop support, as I can attest) and then try to install either Slackware Linux (www.slackware.com) FreeBSD (www.freebsd.org), or Sun's Solaris 10. (www.sun.com Then, try to administer it and play around a bit.

Those are the closest things to learning real UNIX (for FREE!) you can get to without travelling back in time and meeting Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie and then asking to see their VAX computer.

OP
Strider
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Thanks for that meltbanana314

Anyone else got Linux on their computers? I'm particularly interested in anyone who's got Linux on their PowerBook or iBook...

J

Jdurr

I am in the process of ressurecting a wallstreet powerbook which will soon run Gentoo, Debian, or OpenBSD, depending on what I find has the best support. I have Debian Sarge on this x86 right now and a plain Darwin installed on the g3 iMac sitting next to me. The powermac has OS X on it, but I think thats as far as I'm going to go with MacOS's. OS X is nice and all...but I just can't bring myself to stop using Linux/BSD. Apple is definatly headed in the right direction with opening the source on Darwin, but I think they still have a long way to go before I can call them truely free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I like Linux on my x86 (Red Hat) but I seriously love my Mac w/OS X way better. My 2 cents

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.