• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is it just me that gets tired of gadget hype?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Not talking about any specific gadget here, as there are a lot of them that are included in this gripe, but obviously the Iphone is one of them.

It irritates me more and more how any new gadget is always hyped as the [previous hot gadget] killer, is hardly ever produced in quantites that will let you stroll into a shop and just buy one, and in the case of most new phones even when you do they're seemingly always locked into one carrier or another.

It's not just phones though. The Nintendo Wii is another good example - at least here in the UK. The balance board that goes with the console has been intermittently impossible to get for about a year. What's that about - Can it be anything but a deliberate control of supply and demand? What manufacturer can't ramp up production given 12 months notice that people will want a truckload of their gear for Christmas.

I was just looking at the BBC, who reported that Palm have announced their latest, the Pre. It will be available in the Spring in the US, tied to Sprint. They have declined to say when it'll be available in other countries.

Yaaaawn . . . so shall I be queueing outside a Vodaphone shop for 8 hours when they finally deign to grace us with about a quarter of the number they expect to sell, or shall I wait till they're sitting on the shelves at Carphone warehouse for £99, and the next must have geegaw has been announced for 'some time before October 2011'?

On the other hand, it seems to have backfired on Blackberry. They let a tiny trickle of those storm things onto the market after hyping the nuts off of them, and they turned out to be a pile of doo-doo. For everyine that bought one, there must be 10 people that didn't because they couldn't, and now won't bother.

Think I'll stick with my 3 year old Blackberry curve for now. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Gadget hype is tiresome only if you buy into it. Don't get too excited when manufacturers tout their new product and you're not setting yourself up for disappointment later. Plus, they're just things, no need to get all worked up about it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gadget hype is tiresome only if you buy into it. Don't get too excited when manufacturers tout their new product and you're not setting yourself up for disappointment later. Plus, they're just things, no need to get all worked up about it.

It's not the actual stressing and agonising to get my hands on the gadgets that bothers me - as you say, it really doesn't matter, and I have never done that.

It's the fanfare that surrounds it all - the news sites, the forums, etc. I just find reading a) the relentless trumpetting of new gadgets by the press and the manufacturers (long before they're even available), and b) the endless squawking by people desperate but unable to to be 'first' to have them to be a bit tiresome.

It's especially irksome when it's something like the Storm. It sort of goes;

Press: New gadget in the summer! If you don't got one, you're a caveman!
Every forum on earth: Yay! I'm getting one!!
Press: New gadget out next week! Queues forming!!
EFOE: Yay! I'm so excited, I can't sleep!!
Press: New gadget out! Stocks low! Thousands disappointed!!
EFOE: I got one!! or I didn't get one!!!!
Press: New gadget fantastic! Set to Topple Iphone!!!!
EFOE: Mine broke! I get a new one in 4 weeks!!!
Press: Quality concerns over new gadget!
EFOE: Man, this thing sucks!!
Press: New gadget out Christmas!!! If you don`t get one, you're a caveman!!

Etc etc.

Note tongue somewhat in cheek. I'm not really that bothered . . . I'd be far more annoyed if I'd actually bought one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Not talking about any specific gadget here, as there are a lot of them that are included in this gripe, but obviously the Iphone is one of them.

It irritates me more and more how any new gadget is always hyped as the [previous hot gadget] killer, is hardly ever produced in quantites that will let you stroll into a shop and just buy one...
I feel the same way.
The link in my signature pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I've seen very, very few products live up to the hype surrounding them.

Maybe 4 in my lifetime.

1.) Playstation 2
2.) DVD
3.) iPod
4.) iPhone (regardless of my opinion of the darn thing.)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen very, very few products live up to the hype surrounding them.

Maybe 4 in my lifetime.

1.) Playstation 2
2.) DVD
3.) iPod
4.) iPhone (regardless of my opinion of the darn thing.)

Good list.

I don't remember the first three ever being difficult to get, but then I was not one of the first to get any of them. Maybe the Iphone falls into the short stock category, but they are all bona fide groundbreakers. No complaints about them in that respect.

I haven't got an Iphone. Having already had a Blackberry when they first appeared I just got an Ipod touch, which I think is an excellent piece of kit.

But the Blackberry is now starting to look a bit scuffed . . . :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.