iPod Touch - computer recognised it as a camera

Reaction score
I did have an ibook and when i purchased my ipod touch at first the computer recognised it as a camera, I'm not sure how I did it but I pressed something and it then recognised it as an ipod.

Now I have a macbook, totally updated, and the same problem is happening again. The only thing is I can't remember for the life of me what I did last time! I was told to re-store factory settings but the only way I can remember to do that is when it loads into Itunes, which is precisely what it's not doing.

Can anyone help me with this one? It would be much appreciated as it charges my ipod it just isn't updating it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Dou you know how to reset it?
You can do it by holding the home+power buttons and holding down untill you see the Apple logo.
Or it may be an iTunes Preference where it automatically syncs when you connect it.
Can you fill me in on some more details?

OP
L
Reaction score
I don't think it's the ipod itself as the computer is recognising it as a camera and it loads my iphoto instead. I did try resetting my ipod though and nothing happened.

Is there just some way of getting the computer to recognise my computer as an ipod so it can load that screen on itunes where it gives you all the ipod details?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2g jb 3.1.3 / iPad 16gb wifi / Lenovo s10 2.5 gb ram, 300gb hd, SL Dual boot Win 7 /
Make sure you have the most up to date itunes. If you do then re-install itunes. If you dont have the new updated itunes then you will need to update :)

I have had the same problem in the past. If this doesnt work let us know

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah I tried that too,
that makes the most sense to me but nooo, it still didn't work!

This is so frustrating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
My iPod Touch also 'triggers' iPhoto before anything else.

Are you saying that it ONLY loads iPhoto and never iTunes?

The reason mine loads iPhoto is that it defaults to putting photos in the space after all my music, videos and audiobooks.

You can turn that option off if you wish.

I'm not convinced I understand your problem so can you confirm exactly what is happening when you plug the USB into the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
iTouch reset procedure

The reset procedure for the iPod Touch is easy to remember. Just hold down the two buttons that are not the volume rocker: the Sleep/Wake button on top and the Home button on the front. Let go when you see the Apple logo.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm convinced it's not the ipod but the computer, I'm pretty good at using macs and I have tried absolutely everything. Nothing is working.

It just loads up my iphoto as if it was a camera I had plugged in, I wish it would load my itunes instead. I have tried resetting my ipod when its plugged into my computer, nothing happens.

I went into about this mac to see what it had in the USB port, and it says my ipod but it just doesn't come up with that screen that it does when its updating my ipod on itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5+, iPod Touch (2G) 16GB, iSight iMac G5, iPod Nano (3G)
Manually?

I'm convinced it's not the ipod but the computer, I'm pretty good at using macs and I have tried absolutely everything. Nothing is working.

It just loads up my iphoto as if it was a camera I had plugged in, I wish it would load my itunes instead. I have tried resetting my ipod when its plugged into my computer, nothing happens.

I went into about this mac to see what it had in the USB port, and it says my ipod but it just doesn't come up with that screen that it does when its updating my ipod on itunes.

...if you open iTunes is the iPod there in the list?

Reaction score
computers normally recognize the ipod touch as a Camera, just open itunes and try it updating from there.

If you can see your ipod in itunes yet you can't update, restore it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro with 4 GB of RAM, 200GB HD, 256MB of VRAM, 15 inch display
i believe if ur manually managing ur music on the ipod touch (at least for the iPhone 3G), iTunes doesnt open automatically. iPhoto also auto-opens when i plug in my iphone (manually managed), and it recognizes the phone as a camera. (even though the first time i plugged the phone in it appeared as a phone........?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.