External HD for iPhoto and Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 2.16 GHz 2GB Ram 250 GB HD
Hi, I have an intel iMac with a 250GB HD. I am running out of room rapidly due to my wife's pictures (over 25k pics). Currently I have a 1TB Cavalry external HD for my Time Machine backups. What I would like to do is use an external HD for both Time Machine and iPhoto. Then remove the photos from my iMac HD. Does anyone have any suggestions as what would be the best configuration for this? I want to use firewire as it is much more reliable.

Any suggestions/help would be GREAT!!

Thanks. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not sure where you got the idea that Firewire is more reliable. It's definitely faster, but no more reliable than USB.

Your best bet is to partition the external hard drive into two parts. Since you have a 250GB internal hard drive, it's recommended that you have at least twice that amount available for Time Machine. While it's really up to you on how much space you want to dedicate for each partition, though you'll want to have at least 500GB for the Time Machine partition.

As for iPhoto, just move the iPhoto Library to the external hard drive and it'll function exactly how it did when it was on your main hard drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 2.16 GHz 2GB Ram 250 GB HD
Thanks Kash. That's what I was thinkning of doing (partioning the 1TB Cavalry), but I wanted Time Machine to back up the iPhoto pieces as well. I suppose if I get a 2TB External I could partion that 1TB for Time Machine and have the other 1TB for iPhoto. Thanks for you help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.