Has anyone tried playing Halo on their Mac Mini??

Reaction score
Hey,

I know Macs aren't known to be the ideal gaming systems. But I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to play Halo on their mac mini? If so, any issues? The Apple site makes the following bold/playful statement "Go ahead, just try to play Halo."

Regards,

Vake J.

I think a similar question was posed a few weeks ago, but I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried it.

Reaction score
VakeJ said:
Hey,

I know Macs aren't known to be the ideal gaming systems. But I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to play Halo on their mac mini? If so, any issues? The Apple site makes the following bold/playful statement "Go ahead, just try to play Halo."

Regards,

Vake J.

I think a similar question was posed a few weeks ago, but I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried it.

I just finished it yesterday on a PowerMac G5...runs just fine there...

Reaction score
James...i think you're missing the bigger, or should i say, the mini picture here. He's asking if its been played on the mini. Why on earth would you post that you played it on your G5? Why? How does that help the conversation at all? Does it in any way answer the question if Halo plays well on the Mac mini?

Reaction score
jasonbishop73 said:
James...i think you're missing the bigger, or should i say, the mini picture here. He's asking if its been played on the mini. Why on earth would you post that you played it on your G5? Why? How does that help the conversation at all? Does it in any way answer the question if Halo plays well on the Mac mini?

On the mini no...

"I know Macs aren't known to be the ideal gaming systems."

But on Macs ya it does...Lots of the good games play well on the mac.

Does it help the mini conversation?... not really, just as your sniveling about my post doesn't help either...now does it...

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
It plays UT 2003 OK so I can't see why Halo should be any diferent (they both play on my G4 iMac), if could find out which of my snivelling rugrats has pinched my copy I'd try it out myself!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
I dispaire, I really do. I've said it a million times before, DO NOT GET A MAC MINI FOR PLAYING GAMES. My Dual G5 with 2 gig of ram sometimes slows down playing Halo!

The Mac mini is a nice little machine for everyday general purposes and maybe some light to medium image procecessing and very, very light video work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
johnnyluu said:
I dispaire, I really do. I've said it a million times before, DO NOT GET A MAC MINI FOR PLAYING GAMES. My Dual G5 with 2 gig of ram sometimes slows down playing Halo!

Turn off any background tasks. I got a slow down playing UT 2004 a couple of times so I logged in from my iMac to see what was going on, I found that my folding tasks were completing their units and downloading the next one from the folding site when some of the slowdowns occured, probably what happened was that the HD was busy when UT tried to preload some data or something.

I'd like to know what the algorithm is for deciding which CPU to use as on occasions I've noticed that a heavy hitting process will be given the busiest processor to use whilst the other CPU is at 100% folding like crazy, the system should be clever enough to realise that the folding task is supposed to be background and give that up to the heavy hitters.

Anyone know if Tiger will fix this?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Today I tried out UT 2004 on the Mini and it worked just as well as 2003, I've found my Halo copy but lost the manual which has the key on it. Grrr.

I also tried out Age of Empires II and VLC, both work really well and VLC runs really smooth on the Mini, far smoother than on my G4 iMac.

Amen-Moses

D

dlisle20

johnnyluu said:

The Mac mini is a nice little machine for everyday general purposes and maybe some light to medium image procecessing and very, very light video work.

how could halo slow down on a dual G5 and never slow down on full graphics on my 1GHZ PowerBook?

Reaction score
johnnyluu said:

What else do you have running with it? I have played Halo a lot on my 2.0 G5 and have never seen a slow down or even a jerk...

Reaction score
I would like to get some games to try on my mini, they are just so expensive, SOF2 is $50, while the PC version of the same game, which I already have, is $20.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.