Reinstalled OSX and now it goes to Darwin?

J

jlutz

Please help.
I have no idea what is going on.
I was having problems so i reinstalled the operating system.
Now when I go to login it goes directly to Darwin.
How do i get my baby back?

OP
F

flonejek

Try running "sudo /sbin/SystemStarter" and post output if it doesn't fully complete, if it does you should be in Mac OS X. (the passwords your admin password)

OP
J

jlutz

i don't know what that means?

should i type that in darwin?

it won't let me logon in darwin.
it is a black screen that says login, but it won't take my login or password.
Thanks so much.

flonejek said:
Try running "sudo /sbin/SystemStarter" and post output if it doesn't fully complete, if it does you should be in Mac OS X. (the passwords your admin password)

OP
F

flonejek

Umm yah, if it won't let you login then I'm kinda lost..., try going "sudo su" (sudo means run command as switched user and su means switch user to root by default), though if you can't login that probly won't work.

If you can boot into single user mode, there may be help, this is of the top of my head but it should work.

1) Reboot and hold down 'Apple+S' (will boot into single user mode as root, terminal based)
2) type '/sbin/fsck -y' (this checks your filesystem and the -y means say yes to all queries, so it'll fiix problems automatically)
3) type '/sbin/mount -wu /' (This wil remount your drive read/writable)
4) type '/sbin/SystemStarter' (this starts system services so you can access the password database)
5) type 'passwd root' (this will ask you to enter a new root password twice)
Tricky part (i hope this works)
6) type 'nicl localhost /Users/jlutz/ passwd "****" (this will tell netinfo (the mac os x user database thingy) to add a user jlutz with password ****)
7) type 'cp -R /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj /Users/jlutz' (this will copy the system template for users to your new home directory)
8) type 'chown -R jlutz /Users/jlutz' (this will make it so the new user jlutz now owns that directory)

and then reboot and try logging in. Sorry bout not being able to help anymore, i got a driving test, should be back in like 3 hrs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
this happened to me once

Ok, this happened to me once, you need to put in the disc the computer came with and boot from it, then go to disk utility and run repair disk permissions, once it is done, restart the computer and it should start up to the normal OS X boot screen and let you log on normally. I hope this helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.