Palm sweat causing holes in the aluminum?

J

jbsengineer

I saw a few posts on another forum today. Was wondering if anybody had opinons on this? I'm sure you have to be a avid user to have this happen. Or I hope so anyway.

Josh

OP
O

oldschool8604

im not sure if it causes holes per-se...but it does 'rust' the case...
on my brother's first aluminum PB he noticed the aluminum was turning white in places, especially where his palms sat...he got a new pb because it was pretty bad

but, if it hasn't happened yet...what you want to get is these plastic films that fit over the palm rest areas...i forgot what they are called...but theyre thin plastic, and its not really stickers, it just adheres with no glue or anything to taht area and it protects it from drops of water and palm sweat, and so on...

OP
F

flonejek

Aluminium doeesn't corrode easily, as when it corrode it leaves a porfectly smooth layer of aluminium oxide behind which gives most aluminium its matt appearance so i doubt very much that palm sweat would penetrate this layer of protective corrosion, and theres no way it would leave holes.

OP
J

jbsengineer

oldschool8604 said:
im not sure if it causes holes per-se...but it does 'rust' the case...
on my brother's first aluminum PB he noticed the aluminum was turning white in places, especially where his palms sat...he got a new pb because it was pretty bad

but, if it hasn't happened yet...what you want to get is these plastic films that fit over the palm rest areas...i forgot what they are called...but theyre thin plastic, and its not really stickers, it just adheres with no glue or anything to taht area and it protects it from drops of water and palm sweat, and so on...

anyone know where i could find something like that to lay over the aluminum where the palm rests

OP
F

flonejek

Also if you wanted to get rid of white marks (which is probably salt building up the rough surface) wipe it with a damp cloth and if that doesent work try using a bit of brasso, that will remove the protective layer oy corrosion, but it reforms relatively quickly, in a few hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
It must have been from the titanium series becouse thats what my teachers did...

OP
G

groovndc

oldschool8604 said:
hey haha sorry i figured out what the site was
http://www.klearadvantage.com/HomePage.html

those are great! get them

I looked and couldn't tell if they make these for the 12" powerbook. So I wrote and asked. If the answer is no I'll cut them so they fit! Thanks for posting the message about these - I have been looking for something like this forever.

Barry

OP
C

Cloudane

Aluminium doesn't rust... and unless you have incredibly acidic sweat or something (lol) it certainly wouldn't result in any holes!

All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth or a bit of IPA and it'll look good as new.

OP
G

groovndc

Cloudane said:
Aluminium doesn't rust... and unless you have incredibly acidic sweat or something (lol) it certainly wouldn't result in any holes!

All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth or a bit of IPA and it'll look good as new.

Does the powerbook palm rest area get dirty though? Does normal cleaning keep it clean? I've had a different experience with my Dell laptop (which is plastic, btw).

Barry

OP
C

Cloudane

Never noticed it get dirty. Depends how dirty your hands are I guess :) But just an occasional wipe ought to keep it clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I've had my AL PB for about 4 months now, and I use it everyday. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the palm rest areas whatsoever.
I think the white is probably just dried sweat (like someone else said).

OP
B

benmueller

Good call on the Klear Advantage Overlays, hopefully they'll fit the newer 12" PB's.

For those who haven't had the problem (yet) on the newer PB's... the palm rests are now painted plastic, not metal. After only a few months the paint on mine is chipping/wearing off. Apple Care won't cover it. Better to have a dorky piece of plastic there than a ghetto looking 'book.

OP
G

groovndc

benmueller said:
Good call on the Klear Advantage Overlays, hopefully they'll fit the newer 12" PB's.

For those who haven't had the problem (yet) on the newer PB's... the palm rests are now painted plastic, not metal. After only a few months the paint on mine is chipping/wearing off. Apple Care won't cover it. Better to have a dorky piece of plastic there than a ghetto looking 'book.

Hey.... look what I found...

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php

Wrist rags for the Powerbook series. Neat!

Barry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Aluminum Won't Rust, The Powerbooks Are Probly Anodized Wich Is Like A Paint But Not Realy. Once That Wears Off Wich Would Probly Take A Long Time It Will Discolor.

OP
T

tariq

wouldn't those clear overlays impede cooling? just wipe it down, it's not a big deal, trust us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
good ol slightly moist tissue does the trick of cleaning after every use... but yeah i try to keep it as clean as possible each night before i go to sleep

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.