• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The more people that switch, the more bad stuff will switch aswell?

?

)(*

If alot more people started using mac, then wouldnt there be alot more virus' coming out, and spamware will be able to get into mac?

oh i hope not!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
although the macs relatively small user base does indeed contribute to the no virus/no spyware factor, the major factor is that it's based on UNIX, a much more secure base, which is much less suseptible to malware.

OP
F

flonejek

There will be viruses for the mac but they wont be self spreading and you will have to install them yourself using your admin password, which makes it highly unworthwhile/non profitable for malware/adware writers to produce them, and they will thus be few and far between even if macs become incredibly popular.

OP
C

Cloudane

We'll see... there could always be exploits that work around the password thing.

There are those who believe Mac/Linux have no viruses because they're more secure and it'd always be that way, and there are those who believe it's only because the platforms are very unpopular. I like to think it's because they're more secure, but only time will tell us for sure if/when Mac/Linux become popular...

I do notice that the likes of Real Networks provide a really clean player that's almost a joy to use for OS X, but on the PC it's a spyware, adware, nagware horrible piece of scum that pops up "toast" every few minutes in the corner of your screen telling you about their latest exciting news. If ever the Mac became as popular, I bet they'd be one of the first to demonstrate just how annoying a piece of software can be even on the Mac without actually being a virus.

OP
J

Jason

Cloudane said:
I do notice that the likes of Real Networks provide a really clean player that's almost a joy to use for OS X, but on the PC it's a spyware, adware, nagware horrible piece of scum that pops up "toast" every few minutes in the corner of your screen telling you about their latest exciting news. If ever the Mac became as popular, I bet they'd be one of the first to demonstrate just how annoying a piece of software can be even on the Mac without actually being a virus.
RealPlayer is definitely garbage on the PC, I refuse to use it! I don't know how it is on a Mac yet though since I haven't bought one yet! :confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.