Wireless conflicts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G
I've trawled thru the forums and haven't seen this, so here goes. If I missed something, please point me in that direction.

I have 2 computers on my desk; my MacBook and a work PC. It seems that when I turn my work machine on in the morning, and at several instances throughout the day, I drop the wireless connection from my Mac. I frequently still show the "connected" icon at the top, and when I open it almost always tells me that I am connected to my network, but I can get no connection and need to turn the AirPort off and back on. We recently replaced our router with a new NetGear (n technology). The computers are about a foot or so apart.

Am I getting some sort of interference which is disrupting the Mac? Any clues?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of security are you using with the Netgear and have you got SSID turned on? The Netgear routers I've used have been susceptible to dropouts when WEP was used. If you're using WEP switch to WPA or preferably WPA2 which are more secure anyway.

Interference can be caused by cordless phones operating in the 2.4 GHz range, some microwave ovens, and neighbors close by who use wireless. The way around that is to change the channel your new router is broadcasting on.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.