Adding True Type Fonts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I'm still in the migration process and would like to import or load some fonts from my Corel (windows) install CD or Font Directory including a few that I bought individually a couple of years ago. I understand the windows process, but have never done this on my iMac. Is this difficult and better yet, is there a good tutorial online that I should use as a reference.

As an aside, Corel includes both TT and PS versions of many of their fonts. Does it make sense to import both? Will it bog my mac down at all?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
TrueType fonts have worked with all versions of the Mac OS since System 7.

You can either drag and drop the fonts into the Fonts folder in the Library folder.... or simply double click on the font. When you double-click on it, Font Book will open and give you the option to install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you plan on using a lot of fonts the free Linotype FontExplorer is a much more efficient way of managing your fonts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Even the built-int app "Font Book" will allow you to add them.

Open the app, drag your fonts into it, and voila. In my experiences, doing this has also added them to programs I use (Photoshop, Illustrator, Word, etc).

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
That was too easy :). Put the CD in the slot and simply added the ones I wanted. It might be a bit more difficult pulling fonts off my PC's HDD though, I don't think you can simply copy them to a CD and transfer them. Those are ones I bought a few years back and I don't even remember which company I got them from.

With a PC, you were always concerned about having too many fonts as it would bog down your computer. Is that the case with a mac as well? And would the Linotype utility function sort of like Font Navigator in Corel/Windows where you can add remove as needed without ever losing a font?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.