New Premium Memberships

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
"...but the main reason I would pay the $25 is to help out the forums."

Agree exactly. it does cost money to purchase, set up and maintain servers and web sites. There was a hue and cry over the ads when they first appeared, so Premium Membership is a way to assist in maintaining these Forums.

Use them, every day, which equates to about 50¢ per week, or 7¢ per day ~ excellent value for money. Another forum site recently needed new equipment and had to ask members for donations to stay online. This is a far better option imho.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
has anyone else tried the ad-free "skin"

i'm loading m-f pages much, much faster now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I don't have a PayPal account, Can I simply pay by Amex or Visa ?

Cheers
McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I will subscribe once have the means(I have a car payment staring me in the face).... I think a cool idea would be if you wanted to add certain features and you knew how much they would cost set up a donation goal and let the members help contribute. I think it would benefit the forums monetarily and help build a stronger community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I do agree with this. But I do not the idea of a "Premium Member Badge". Because it creates an elitist group. And everyone then will know who has contributed and who has not. People should be paying their hard earned money to help the exist in the future. Not for a few perks. But if perks are required that's ok.

In short.

1. Could create 2 user groups. Payers and non payers. Well not officially but people could think like this.

2. Personally I'd want to help out the site. But I like donating or helping out anonymously. And I think some others would too. And I will not be helping out till this point is addressed in some way.

3. A payers only forum? Helps to create the point 1 scenario in my opinion.

Personally I think the perks associated with paying should be aimed at enhancing the user experience. Ie. No ads. Options to different forum skins. Larger storage capacity for the PM inbox here. And more. I can't think of any more though.

Well that's how I feel about this whole premium memberships here. And thanks for taking the effort to set something up here.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
2. Personally I'd want to help out the site. But I like donating or helping out anonymously. And I think some others would too. And I will not be helping out till this point is addressed in some way.

If you'd like to become a premium member and have your badge reflect the existing member badge instead so you're more anonymous, that's something we can probably accomodate on an individual basis.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
perhaps the badge could be just a bit more understated - to keep in line with the thought process 8thark implies...

maybe just the same design with a different color, or same color/text that simply says "premium" instead of "member".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmmm.... I think it's pretty understated as it is now. If it said "Premium" or something like that, it would stand out more IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with eric.
But I think it should be member and premium member. Different colour text doesn't bother me. Cause when I first saw the M-F and the heart thing. I was like what is that?? But with Eric's idea, people would be thinking, hmm a premium member. How do I become one of those?

(and on a unrelated note, for all those on this site interested in man points. The red heart to me is very unmanly).

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Cause when I first saw the M-F and the heart thing. I was like what is that?? But with Eric's idea, people would be thinking, hmm a premium member. How do I become one of those?

I would say the current design did cause you to wonder what it was and find out more, so I think it worked. ;D

(and on a unrelated note, for all those on this site interested in man points. The red heart to me is very unmanly).

Good thing we don't run the forum based on man points. :p

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, the heart is like a star on a sneech's belly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
did you ever read the dr seuss book, or see the cartoon?

it's a good lesson in jealousy and perceived status.

Reaction score
Hello. I recently upgraded my membership and wanted to know how to be able to use the new features.

Thanks.

Babylon5

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello. I recently upgraded my membership and wanted to know how to be able to use the new features.

Thanks.

Babylon5

You should already have access to the Premium Members forum (look at the forum list from the main page). Additionally, the increased PM inbox size should be automatic.

To switch over to the ad free mode, click on the Profile button toward the top-right of the M-F page. Then, go into Edit Options (left side of the screen). Scroll all the way to the bottom and you can change to ad free using the option shown below (you can also select to use the iPhone skin here):
2009-06-17_0830.png

Thanks for becoming a premium member, and do let us know if you have any further questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It doesn't seem to want me. When I try to upgrade it says:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

I assume this is not US only?

If not, any ideas please? I am using Firefox 3.5.6 on Leopard 10.5.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
It doesn't seem to want me. When I try to upgrade it says:

I assume this is not US only?

If not, any ideas please? I am using Firefox 3.5.6 on Leopard 10.5.8.

I'm having the same issues as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Thanks - I suppose we need to wait for the Admins to sort out the problem :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.