Move the menu bar to the app window

OP
N
Reaction score
NeilP - Perhaps you could enlighten us all on just how you manage to use all those screens at one time. I'm sure that more than just me is fascinated.

You could use that argument against moving from a 14inch screen to a 19 inch or 19 to a 20 inch widescreen etc. If it is there it tends to get used. I started here with only one, then got given a second so that was plugged it into the PC. The when the Plasma TV arrived that had a VGA computer connection so that was used as well to play DVD's etc from the PC....You dont NEED them but they do get used

If you do have such a need for four screens then it would seem that you need an OS that meets that need, which in your case seems to be Windows.

Mac more than meets the need for me and most people with regard to the number of screens it supports. If you wanted you could run up to 8 screens off the Mac Pro. In fact it meets it better that windows in most respects
See the config page:
Configure - Apple Store (U.K.)

4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB each supporting 2 screens.

I am quite happy with the three screens. At present Two 19's inch side by side and 50 inch plasma TV connection for watching online TV/DVD's, Picture slide shows etc thru the PC.
So most of the time we will just be using two screens side by side. The girlfriend saw the 30 inch Cimema screens and wanted them. So when the Mac arrives it will be the two 30's side by side and the plasma TV screen. Too big for what I need really....but she is paying half.

Then she realised that since we had two graphics cards, we could run a fourth screen, so the idea was then implanted in her mind to maybe have a 4th as well.....a screen mirrored on the other side of the wall in the kitchen so she can see her photo slide shows in there as well once set up and playing in the living room. ...yeah I know..... get a wireless/memory card type picture frame got those already...... She gets these ideas...I gotta put them into practice. But she pays for this sort of kit, I get to play with new toys and learn new stuff.

Until the machine arrives I do not know what exactly the setup or layout will be, and maybe it will wok out fine, but from experiences in the Apple store with the two screens ( well one screen and WACOM tablet) it seemed difficult to be working on the tablet, then have to move the mouse across to the other screen to use menu commands. Maybe the tablet had other ways of accessing the menus, I did not get a chance to find out, was only in the store a while playing with the machine, and this appeared to be a problem....hence the original post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Having looked at this thread, then maybe there is an argument for it.

Apple will always keep the menu bar at the top of the screen, but if the finders menu could swap to whatever active application comes into focus on that screen, that might be a good thing

You could always try contacting Apple, they might even consider it

Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Having looked at this thread, then maybe there is an argument for it.

Apple will always keep the menu bar at the top of the screen, but if the finders menu could swap to whatever active application comes into focus on that screen, that might be a good thing

You could always try contacting Apple, they might even consider it

Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback

You're right Louishen, he definitely has a good point. I haven't done much work with multiple monitors on Mac OS, so just as an experiment, I did some testing today.

It is a major pain in the rear to have to constantly revert back to other screens to access menu options. I am amazed that this hasn't been addressed directly by Apple.

Reaction score
I've attached an additional monitor to my MacBook Pro to use extended desktop feature, which works very well. Mac OS X retains many of the elements that have always been a staple of Mac OS. A centralized menu bar does make things very easy. It's just something you'll need to get used to. It's part of the switching process. Each operating system is unique. You can't expect to look and work exactly like another. If you wanted Mac OS X to work like Windows, then you're in for a surprise: it won't. You have to give OS X some time and you'll get used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.