Is my new Imac DOA?

Reaction score
Hi all. Im new here, but I need some Mac help quick, so I decided to come here for some input.

So I bought a Imac brand new over the weekend, but I barely go to opening up the box tonight. So I get everything ready, the power cable hooked up and plugged in, etc., etc. I press the power button and hear the chime. The gray loading screen with the Apple logo comes up, but one problem. Theres colored lines going vertically across the whole screen; kinda like when a television screen gets all static-ish.

Well after the gray loading screen with colored lines is all finished loading, up comes standard blue screen that happens when you startup your Mac. This is my third mac (Imac G5 and Macbook), and I know around this time the startup window should pop up and walk you through the installation process; but nothing, just the blue screen.... and it stays like that.

So I hold the power button for a few seconds and restart, all the same things happen all over again.

I'm certain there is something wrong with this machine from what has happened so far, especially since its brand new right out of the box. But, I'd like some feedback and input from anyone before I go to the Apple store tomorrow.

Of course I'm kinda upset about this whole ordeal, so I'm just searching for answers and input. I'm just hoping the guys at the Apple store won't give me any problems, because frankly, I'd like to exchange it for a new one. And I'd be even more upset if they just take it to the genius bar where some dude is gonna hold option and install the software that way. If I just dropped a lot of cash for a new computer, I'd want a new computer, know what I mean? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for your time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Take it back and say you want a new one. Something is not right with that machine and I wouldn't accept it back even if they said they'd 'fixed' it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.