• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macworld, a win or a fail?

Reaction score
I personally liked iLife '09, iWork '09 and the new battery solution for the Macbook Pro but that's about it. I couldn't care less about the iTunes store because I don't use it. I think a 17'' notebook is too big. 15'' max but I prefer the Macbooks because they're so much more compact. I was pretty disappointed that there was no iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro updates because I wanted to see the iMac move to Quad-core. I think it's time for the Macline to see Quad-Core because people want more power. It may be too much heat for laptops right now but it'd be fine for the iMacs. I guess I can throw away the hope of it coming to the Macbook this year.

I want more power but in a smaller 13 inch laptop and I want a lot less heat. When will this be possible because I'm getting tired of waiting. I'm glad to know they're extending the battery life of the 17in Macbook Pro but I wanted them to change to Silver-Zinc battery technology. There is less chance of fatal chemical reactions with Silver-Zinc techonolgy. Hopefully they bring that battery option to the Macbook sometime this year because I need a new laptop with better features.

I think there were just so many rumors that many people were overhyped about Macworld. I'm just wondering when the Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro will be updated now. It's been almost 2 years since the mini has been updated. What I want by the 2nd refresh of the Macbook is: extended battery life / new battery solution, 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo processor / 2.0 Quad-Core processor and cheaper and faster SSDs. If they don't come by October then I guess I'll have to settle for what's currently available. The last Macworld for Apple wasn't that great though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
Personally i was disappointed... I felt there were too many rumors and that the news of Steve sort of killed it. i DO NOT see how macworld can be macworld with out..Mac!! anyone else feel this way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not sure if I'm happier about the DRM free announcement or the higher bitrate.. and I don't buy much from iTunes at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would call it a solid WIN! You may not use the iTune store yourself, but the announcement that all music would go DRM-free is a HUGE and long-desired acknowledgement by the music cartel that DRM sucks... it's overly restrictive... it does NOT deter piracy.... and just needed to go. Now that it will be gone, I may actually start buying from there much more often.

That aside... the "disappointment" over the relatively sparse news from Apple at MacWorld is precisely the reason Apple will no longer be there. All these unfounded rumors float about that get people hyped over what Apple has to reveal only hurts Apple when they fail to support those unfounded rumors. Also... Apple prefers to announce products at their pace and leisure when the products are ready. By tying announcements to MacWorld, they are tying themselves to someone else's schedule. Good riddance to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Personally i was disappointed... I felt there were too many rumors and that the news of Steve sort of killed it. i DO NOT see how macworld can be macworld with out..Mac!! anyone else feel this way?

I completely agree! i was really hoping for a Mac Mini refresh, and Snow Leopard.... (maybe iPhone nano?...;D ) But I do like iWork '09 and the look of iLife '09.. and DRM free music is ok, I guess now I don't have to burn it onto a CD and reimport the music I wanted to be DRM free... But it seems like $.33 for to upgrade is a bit steep..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I was sort of expecting a Mac Mini update, however I'd never buy one so it doesn't matter.

I do feel that they were cheated (well thats a bit harsh really) announcing iLife and iWork as two of the 'main' updates.

New 17" MBP looks really nice. It is big for a notebook to carry around constantly but it'd be a good desktop replacement.

Wonder when the Mac Pro will move to the i7 platform and have a newer graphics card though. That's what I'm more interested in. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
I completely agree! i was really hoping for a Mac Mini refresh, and Snow Leopard.... (maybe iPhone nano?...;D ) But I do like iWork '09 and the look of iLife '09.. and DRM free music is ok, I guess now I don't have to burn it onto a CD and reimport the music I wanted to be DRM free... But it seems like $.33 for to upgrade is a bit steep..

YEah, i picked up both yesterday, Very nice! yeah the DRM should be free.... I think the Iphone shuffle would be cooler, See What Happens When You Assume, iPhone Nano Forgers,
I was hoping for the mac mini, something so blow my last xmas dollars on, lol, but instead i got Lego mindstorms nxt, lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
MacWorld happened already? I didn't notice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Also... Apple prefers to announce products at their pace and leisure when the products are ready.

I don't see that at all. It may be where they're going, but it definitely isn't where they've been.

The 'one other thing' announcement is virtually a trademark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Look at all of the product launches done in the past couple of years. It definitely looks as though Apple is switching to a format where they have smaller venues to launch products when they please rather than getting everybody riled up during one big show with a set deadline.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.