Hey newb question

Reaction score
I'm a new mac user and unfamiliar with the commands .What does it mean when i try to open something off of my desktop and it says that "there is no default application specified to open the document?" How do i open it?

Reaction score
It depends on the type of file it is. If you right click on it, you can select "Open with..." to see a list of applications that may be able to handle the type of file that it is. It is normally best to have an application handy that routinely works with the file.

To right click, make sure that mouse preferences is set to accept a right click, or hold the <control> key while clicking.

If you let us know the type of file that it is, someone will likely let you know what application(s) to use for that document type.

OP
D
Reaction score
it is a video converter for my ipod that i downloaded off the internet. it wont let me open it when i click on it. i tried right clicking, and it said to use quicktime, but it couldnt open it with quicktime because it isnt a movie file

Reaction score
I get the sense that the document that you are trying to work with could be a Windows application (.exe). If that's the case, it will only run in a Windows installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
What is the name of the file?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.