Printer recommendation needed for Classic user...

Reaction score
Hi. First post here, but longtime Mac user (optional hard drive for the Apple IIGS, anyone?!?).

I still run 10.2 on a G3 with a 1.1GHz processor upgrade, oodles of RAM and several large hard drives. The computer serves me just fine.

The problem is that I still rely on Classic for quite a bit of software, and I need a new printer. My stockpile of 10+ year old Epson 740s has just about run its course....and I have twin 14 month old boys worthy of plenty of picture taking.

So....

I need a recommendation for a NEW (current model) printer that meets the following criteria:

Comes with, has available, or can work with a driver that will work under classic (I run 9.1).

I thank you in advance for any help.

-Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In my time with Classic (I still use it occasionally with my b/w G3) the Canon BJC series was often the standard bearer, or the Epson 800 series. Computer recycling centres often have pallet-loads of printers that still work, but are superseded.

You ask for modern ... HP will operate with Classic, but via a convoluted process.
This from another forum:
"If the vendor doesn't support Classic, then Classic is not supported. However, all is not lost. Print to a PostScript file. Opening the PostScript file in Preview will automatically convert it to PDF."

Reaction score
There are several (a few years old now) laser printers like Brothers that will work for you. I just got a Brother 5070n at the thrift store, have it hooked up to the home network in OS9. Im also still useing an Apple 630 pro. An inkjet
Epson 900 and Canon ip4200,Canon S500.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.