Removing scratches from new imac screens

Reaction score
Hey

I've got one of the new 2008 aluminium and glass 20" imacs.
However there are a couple of tiny scratches on the screen; they're not extremely noticableable but it would be nice to remove them if possible.
I've spent hours on many forums and websites looking up how to go about doing this but can't seem to find a clear answer.
I've found a few products on ebay that claim to remove scratches from glass:
Clear Glass Scratch Repair / Remover Window Windscreen on eBay, also Touch Up Materials, Car Care, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Jan-09 06:12:51 GMT)
Polywatch Watch Glass Scratch Remover / Display Repair on eBay, also, Wristwatches, Watches, Jewellery Watches (end time 01-Feb-09 14:50:19 GMT)

Would either of these products be successful? or would they cause more harm than good? I'm a bit skeptical whether to try one or not incase it makes the condition of the screen worse.
Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" OSX 10.5.4 Leopard: 4gb/500gb
it's glass? I thought it was plastic

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it were a windshield, I'd say go for it. Have had some rock dings repaired with those type of products and they do a pretty good job at it.

Would definitely not try it on a monitor screen without first trying it on some inconspicuous area of a window to see how it works.

The Polywatch: my guess is that one will not work at all. It says specifically it is for plastic and works by actually melting the plastic and moving it around to fill in the scratch. I'd be curious to know what's in it, as the solvents I'm aware of that will melt plastic will also cause a clouding effect on clear plastics.

You may also find a couple of these type products at your local auto parts store. For windshields they typically are used for filling cracks and not scratches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.